Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Took me a few tries to get it dialed with PETG, but I was creating my own profile in simplify3D. If you stick with prusa slicer it shouldnt be much of a hassle I figure. Im still considering swapping to the prusa slicer, because they keep adding nice features specificaly made for the machine.

This video helped for getting the petg profile tuned:

Prusa slicer recently added this fuzzy skin, havent tried it yet but it looks cool.

One step closer to printing the dickosaurus’s nutsack in a wrinkly skin.

5 Likes

Thanks dude! I will be sure to check that out before i start tinkering!

5 Likes

I gotta start upping my documentation game. I’ve been slack.

I can’t even give y’all a pic dump this time cos i just cleared the sd card on my phone.

I finished those 4 batteries i was working on and did a bunch of skinning stuff.

I also carbon/fibreglass skinned the underside of a prototipo and my choochoo deck.

I can tell you right now, that skinning over inserts is a right cunt of a job. Not fun at all

12 Likes

Petg is the shit I wasn’t a fan until I went direct drive and fmhe. Now prints like pla
ezgif-2-7f6c2a78646c
Abs is my next challenge…

6 Likes

I started playing with the petg. It didn’t go well.

Having issues with adhesion on the textured plate, possibly due to not being able to get the plate clean enough with my shitty 70% iso wipes. Ordered 5L of 100% iso to make sure I have a clean surface before i start tinkering again.

I’d really like to be able to use cheap rolls of petg on this printer ($35/kg) as opposed to the prusa petg ($70/kg)

Once the iso arrives i’ll try a bunch of calibration prints and maybe even read through the troubleshooting handbook. Maybe.

20211013_100257

Did another full send skin, quite pleased with these, and improved upon my skinning over inserts technique, but fuck me, it’s not fun. Really takes the joy out of it.

20211013_194836

Evolve upgrades keep the lights on and the beers cold, but man they are shitty, uninspiring batteries to build.

This piece of shit was interesting. The battery consists of 4 x 12s lipos connected to a custom pcb that connects all 4 to a single bms. It’s a neat solution… if it works.

The bms somehow shit the bed and completely drained cell 12 to 0V… but because the 4 packs are all 12s, all 4 packs lost the 12th cell. So now I have 4 bombs hiding in my fireplace and the owner seems to have dropped off the face of the planet :roll_eyes:

If i don’t hear back from him by next week, i’m calling my crazy (in a good way) battery recycling man and he can have these packs for the reasonable price of getting them the fuck off my property.

8 Likes

I had the same issue with the textured plate and petg, wash the plate with some soap, helped for me. I use 70% iso and it works great now. Also helps when you print the first layer ticker and 5 degrees hotter.

4 Likes

Updates!

The iso came :partying_face: this seems to have been a big part of my problems, and i’m glad I waited til I had it before I persisted.

Bed adhesion was far better with having the bed cleaned properly and helped to identify other issues.

Basic stuff was coming out ok, but as soon as I had hard corners, support, or overhangs, i was having a lot of issues.

My nozzle was way too close to the bed for first layer, so it was looking pretty rough and smooshing the supports and the print together. Also had pretty much zero fan, and that seemed to be badly affecting my overhangs.

Tweaked the bed level and turned fan on, but was still having problems with overhang.

Thanks to @Scepterr advice, i repositioned the print so that the fan was pointing directly towards the overhangs i was having issues with. I also increased the extrusion width on the perimeters. This seems to have helped a great deal.

The main issue i’m facing now is getting a decent finish on the extreme overhangs. I feel like I need to reduce the space between the support and the print, but I fear that they will bond together too well. So this next step might take a bit of fuckery.

Got a little bit of soldering to do too :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve been having fun with the prusa. Now that i have got the petg tuned reasonably well, it is an absolute dream for simple parts.

Its really nice to have a reliable printer. Highly recommend.

I have a whole stack of these 12s6p and 12s4p batteries to build so i’ve made a few things to speed up the process

The black jig in the foreground there allows me to glue up 2 p groups together all in one shot. Can fully silicone up 2s6p in less than 3mins. Heaps quicker than trying to do it just by hand.

Also getting fishpaper cut on the plotter and custom laser cut nickel, should take most of the tedious work out of these packs

7 Likes

I’ve managed to increase production by convincing my daughter that checking cell voltages is ‘fun’. Hopefully this farce can be sustained.

Meanwhile, i glued up some cells.

My jig worked awesomely. Not sure if the video link will work as youtube reckons it has a copyright claim on it cos i was listening to music while recording :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

this…this… this is diabolical!

I approve. :grin:

7 Likes

So i’ve mostly just been printing poastmotes and working on batteries this week…

But i did have a rush of blood late last night and decided to put some effort into getting Frankendick back on the road.

It has been done. Obligatory 24hr cure time and then i’m a real boi again.

I’m a little upset about how much wider it is now, but got hangers cheap, so can’t complain.

Will be interesting to see how the extra width affects the ride.

8 Likes

20km shakedown on the rebuild went well, no issues to report and I saw a black cockatoo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The extra width makes a huuuuuge difference. Way less twitchy, but as I expected, way slower response and less turn.

Its not the board it was meant to be now, but it works and its still fun. Beggars can’t be choosers.

10 Likes

As time goes on we get more and more spoilled, I look back at my single drive Longboard with a RC car esc and pistol controller and single 6s battery. Top speed was 16km, range it had none, and I fucking loved the shit out of it. Now unless my diy is plutonium 2 level or higher I just can’t be fucked to ride it. Fuck I wish I could still be that esk8 n00b it would be so much cheaper.

4 Likes

This whole community has a bad case of NBT (Next Big Thing) disease. I try to maintain a sense of wonder and appreciation no matter what I’m riding.

Cheers on getting rolling agin, @glyphiks !

4 Likes

I envy your child like innocents, and Al’S ability to relentlessly bring the awesome…

2 Likes

Riiiggghhhtto cocks.

So I took Frankendick for another shakedown… and properly shook her down.

Shook the fucking bolts right out of the hanger… again.

I only used 243, so I guess its my own dumb fault. I got mad, pulled it down, sanded and thoroughly cleaned the interface between hanger and pivot, cleaned the threads, got new bolts, fucked off the stupid spring washers and epoxied everything

I have put 40km on it since and it seems to be holding strong.

Fucking loving the OSRR Bruce. Like, almost sexually… i’ve never been much of a telemetry man… but man… i’m digging the telemetry. Its so awesome to see the battery sag/recovery in real time, and the range remaining is a super cool feature as well.

My initial thoughts of the bruce was like ‘fuck, this is a big bruce’ but after a few good rides with it now, it has found it’s place in my palm and we are one.

I’ve also been doing boring shit like printing poastmotes and building batteries

10 Likes

Oh shiiiit. Its been a minute.

Frankendick is running beautifully, the epoxy is holding, very happy with my ghetto fix.

Brucey is also doing really well despite my neglect. Very happy with OSRR.

Not a great deal of fun stuff happening here. I finished a batch of batteries for Tranzite, started a new batch, skinned some decks, made an enclosure for that cockhead @PedroMcJimenez, salvaged some cells from one scooter battery yet to be put into another scooter battery.

Truth be told, i haven’t actually been very productive lately. Been enjoying spending a lot of time with my daughter and it’s been awesome.

We spent some time (and a whole lot of money) setting up this lizard enclosure. Today we got the lizard, it’s a Northern Blue Tongued Skink. I think he’s beautiful.

I’ve named him Barry, but my daughter thinks its a girl and it’s name is Isla. My lizard is in the middle of a gender crisis.

8 Likes

Good shit! Family time is precious.

5 Likes

Plot twist, it’s actually called a
Northern Blue Tongued Shrink
:rofl:

3 Likes

Merry new year cocks!

Had a reasonably cruisy few weeks, purposely trying not to work too much…

Partially built a few custom batteries, really need to wind these up and get paid…

Couple of skins, one for me and one for a local rider

Blue tongue is finally settling in, although he’s still very skittish.

But perhaps my favourite thing over the last few weeks has been finally growing the balls to start learning fusion.

Designed this top box that will sit on top of my redember and house 2 of the maker x HV escs.

They come all bare and exposed so I made some little houses for them too.

The plan is to make a compression mold with the design of the shell and make a forged fibreglass part. There are sure to be some woes on this journey.

My biggest fear at this point is being able to print the mold tools successfully… all up its gonna be about 2kg of filament and 120+hrs print time, so I’m hoping it goes smoothly :sweat_smile:

Wish me luck!

10 Likes