Composites Ramble

Carbon fiber and vacuum supplies can be pretty cheap on aliexpress just very slow to arrive.

4 Likes

Got a few stuff from that seller

HOBBYROVER
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtLWIFv

4 Likes

And for technique, Adam has a good video

I have the punished props one at work for the occasional crown moulding we need to copy in plaster

4 Likes

cool with me! @Flasher this is exactly the stuff that makes me shy away from vacuum forming, space is limited in this aboddddde

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 12.35.45 PM

he’s got a sweet “x” on his shirt tho. He must be one of those cool str8 edge kids

3 Likes

@whaddys The idea is that you can base yourself on the 2 first ones and make the size that suits you. Adam’s vacuum former is an old model and it’s massive for the same end result :joy:
His idea of using a perimeter box around the object was great. Adds a perfectly straight edge all around the forrm

2 Likes

I have the vacuum pump on its way from china I have the rest of the supplies space is my biggest issue ATM my shed is getting cramped. The laser cutter will have to go I bought it to do fancy griptape shapes (used it twice) and I am frit all the way now. My other issue is the 2 X 400 Watt panels on my shed might need to be doubled. Or I could just get an electrician to run 240 from the house.

3 Likes

So happy you know this is…

4 Likes

He actually stopped drinking in 2012 and never took anything afterwards

5 Likes

Hear ya there bro.
I made the vacuum former table large and mounted it in place permanently. I leave a sheet of MDF on top and it’s my skate workbench.

Right next to the clothes dryer :+1::man_facepalming: FML :rofl:

6 Likes