HV Motors and Big Boy Amps

Best way I can think about it is just use Watt Hours. calculate dhte Wh of your pack by and that will give good inidcation of range. use roughky 30 Wh/Mile for your skinny ass.
Watt hours are calculated as follows:
P = number of cells in p group
S = number of cells in series
C = Capacity of one cell in Ah (not mAh, we use sci notification :gorilla:)

Watt hours = (3.7 * S) * (P * C)

super easy this way since the formula is just multiplication and the brackets are just for show

ultimately , the more cells, the more range. Arrangement in P and S groups doesn’t actually matter all that much.

simply divide the packs’ Wh by your efficiency in wh/mile and boom range.
for example my pack has 2 KWh of go juice, and I use up roughly 50 Wh per mile because I am really far off the efficiency band of my motors and ride like 30 mph everywhere. so thats
2000 Wh / 50 Wh/Mi = 40 miles or range

7 Likes

High kV motors have more copper mass and less insulation mass because of thicker wires, also less resistance due to thicker wires. I think half the reason @MoeStooge is getting great results is due to his high kV inrunners.

3 Likes

Why would lacroix be going the opposite direction with their hv and gearing then?

1 Like

opposite way to what? your going to have to be more specific

2 Likes

To use the higher voltage Efficiently we need lower KV motors
The issue is to lower a KV in a motor you need more windings this takes up more room in the starter because of this there is a limit to how manny you can fit with out reducing the CSA that limits you ampage

Basikly there’s a optimum point theat technology lets us use at the minit new and better motors are needed to overcome the current limitations

Small powerful Low KV motors are rare because it’s a hard thing to make well with current manufacturing methods.

140KV is only just becoming common on the market go back a couple of years 190Kv was replacing the 220kv motors

The other way is gear ratio but most of us maxed that out
T12 is the minimum for 8mm motor shafts T14 for 10mm motor shaft both are on the m5 belt minimum radius and can cause slipping issues.
80mm wheels max T36 wheel pully, 107mm T40 wheel pully

If you have a play with a Esk8 calculator you see what I mean have a look around to the parts you can get

Lacroix uses 16/72 stock. 4.5:1
Optional 18/72 =4:1
The new hv gear drive will be the
equivalent of 20/72 = 3.6:1
They are going the opposite direction in gearing with hv in comparison to what @ducktaperules posted.
If I’m reading correctly you are saying to increase the ratio for hv, when lacroix is doing the opposite

1 Like

Got the full spec?
Voltage,KV,Gears,wheel size need all of them to compare

Not sure why would they do that… So around 140KV motors?

1 Like

Yes, 18s 140kv 12/44 3.66:1 new
Old 12s 190kv 16/72 4.5:1

The switch to lower KV means more motor torque so they are able to drop the gear ratio and get the same overall torque at the wheel.

Basically 3.6:1 at 140kv is equivalent to 4.88:1 at 190kv (3.6/140*190) . This means that lacroix new drive has a higher equivalent ratio than their old high torque ratio. But because of the HV setup they can also run at higher RPM so they are able to achieve the same top speeds as their 4:1 ratio. Best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Buuut didnt technically evolve do this with the result of overheating motors?

i dont know much about what evolve have done but overheating motors is a strong possibility. lower KV motors tend to have higher resistance which means more heat is generated. Im running 140KV 6396 motors and keeping them cool is a battle.

4 Likes

Low kv and low gear ratio will not run very efficiently.
But it might be good enough for prebuilt/lacroix riders, since they don’t exactly seem to push the limits :crazy_face:

Exactly

Changing the motor Kv doesn’t change the torque you can produce, motors are rated for torque, independent to what Kv they are wound to as long as the amount of copper inside is the same

Lowering the Kv and keeping the motor current the same is the same as keeping the same Kv and increasing the motor current.

If your ESC is on the limit of how much current it can push but your motor is not burning, lowering the motor Kv will help but you will loose to speed

Increasing the voltage help only in scenarios where you ride really aggressive, that means high motor current for long periods of time, if you just chill ride, if the board is properly setup ( higher gearing to account for the higher motor rpm) you will have lower efficiency due to greater core losses

The truth is it’s hard to predict how it influences on real world riding

Take Lacroix riders, you see a few users using bigger motor pulleys, and on chill rides the range does increase since the core losses goes down, and they were higher than copper to begin

If we have the motor modeled, like I did on ESK8 news, info on the board and ride logs, we can predict how changing anything on the system would impact any performance metric for that rider specific ride style

3 Likes

My latest build 16S3P 16/40/110/190kv loaded top speed 86km/h reality is 68km/h I was afraid this gearing was going to give me crap torque so last night I tackled a long steep hill near me. Both my DD boards can’t climb and evolve GTR shits the bed going up this hill. I took the hill easy. My big ass 6384s did get hot. Took a massive chunk of charge from my battery.

3 Likes