Jeffy J's builds and race setups

I’m lucky enough to have a powered and insulated shed but I’m in desperate need of some organisation!!!

I should upload a pic of the chaos in the hope I get guilted into getting my shit together.

I’ve done a few DIYs now and learnt heaps but so much to learn still. I’m hoping to have a crack at a battery build later in the year and then maybe try some 3d printing.

My first DIY was a Meepo hybrid. Meepo AWD GT deck that I did my own foam grip tape and Waterbourne Surf Adaptors. Maker X DV4 ESC, loop key, 100mm Meepo hubs, 4 x Meepo AWD GT packs run in parallel for a 10s4p Sony VTC6 pack. Shitty DIY Enclosure.

Learnt how to program an ESC with VESC tool, solder (kind of lol), and generally start getting my head around how everything works.

Next was a big step up! A 4wd Torqueboards Direct drive. 2 x Maker X DV6s, deck and enclosure combo by Glyphiks, 12s5p Samsung 40T Marsen battery, 3d printed loop key risers.

I absolutely loved this board but have had some issues, from multiple bent hangers to delamination of TB110s. It’s currently waiting on new steel hangers designed by Radium-performance.com and I’ve got a set of 115mm airless rubber wheels to replace the TB110s. I hope to get it back on the road for some indoor race meets at a go-kart track in Perth WA starting soon. My first race with this board I had the delam issues under heavy breaking so came a cropper.

I love short boards too and have owned a Verreal mini, and Meepo mini 2. Decided to make my own version. I fibreglassed a skateshred blank deck and had a crack at my first fibreglass enclosure. It’s certainly not the prettiest but she does the job. Currently have it running with a Maker X DV6 (maker X mini FOC plus crapped itself on first ride and a TB6 i busted the USB-C plug the first time I plugged it in!!). Battery is a Marsen 12s3p Samsung 40T. I skinned the deck with an Iron on print on a cotton pillow case haha and some green medium frit. I completely fucked the original TB mount by not allowing loctite to cure fully multiple times. It currently has a hacked up Boarbnamics mount running a TB6380.

I really don’t like the feel of the ride with a powerful single drive. Hard to get traction on full acceleration when needed and I keep getting belt slippage under heavy braking.

Will photo bomb on next comment and continue my dribble as keep getting errors trying to upload more pics. TBC…

8 Likes

As promised, more pics and dribble…

After the issues with the TBDD setup I needed something to keep me going and to get me to work once or twice a week. I switched up the build to a dual Flipsky 6374 set up with TB V7 mounts and a fancy custom, bread board motor mount cross bar. I had major wobbles on this set up and put it down to the TB160s being unbalanced. Turns out I’d been running it with a 16T pulley I’ve side and a 15T the other :man_facepalming:. Only discovered after I did some repairs after it got run over by an inattentive driver pulling out from a servo and not looking left.

What’s next:

I scored another Landyachtz Switch that matches my current one so Glyphiks will hopefully be knocking me up another enclosure as he still has the mould for the previous one :crossed_fingers:. If he’s not over building batteries by now I’m also hopeful of a 12s5p p42a to go with the enclosure :pray:. I’ve already glassed the bottom and will glass the top once I’ve got the enclosure and added threaded inserts.

I’ve ordered a bunch of parts from www.fullsendelectric.net and have a bunch of motors laying around. Not 100% yet but likey a dual TB630 on 7inch tyres and MBS hubs.

My mini I’ll be changing at some point too. Either dual belt motors or back to dual hubs. The single drive just isn’t working out for me!

I’d also love to try my hand at battery building. Maybe later this year I’ll attempt to burn my house down. Who knows. I’ll probably start with a cheat version of a battery build using
https://www.duckbatterysystems.com/ stuff perhaps. Speaking of which…

Now to clean my shed!!

11 Likes

Nice! Be sure to show before and after photos of the shed clean! Love a bit of mess round these parts.

Will definitely get to the enclosure soonish dude, i’m finally starting to catch up on my outstanding project list so its coming!

4 Likes

Yep. Need this for motivation lol

3 Likes

Look it still needs a lot of work but a bit of a tidy up…
Before:

After: still a mess but better. This was a good hour and a half of sorting lol

Need to get little storage draws and some shelving.

4 Likes

You definitely need some storage solutions in there my dude :sweat_smile: the more shit you can keep on the vertical, the more shit you can leave laying around on your horizontals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Grabbed an old old set of draws tucked away unused and bought a few plastic storage things.

Getting there slowly…

Now to actually do some work on my boards!

7 Likes

After entering an esk8 race in Perth run by Electric Racing League https://www.electricracingleague.com.au/ I have found my new hobby!!

I had such an awesome time and did pretty well but now want more!!! So I’ve ordered a bunch of stuff from fullsendelectric.net to hopefully give me an edge!

I was getting hammered on the tight bends as I was running RKP trucks with 50degree/50degree Baseplates with hard bushings and my turns took a great deal of effort. There were guys on DKPs killing me on bends then I’d get them on the straights.

I ordered some adjustable baseplates and softer bushings as well as a new drivetrain but a bunch of parts are being held up because of the terrible postage ‘service’ in Australia!

Long story short, I’ve thrown together a temporary race board utilizing the adjustable baseplates and softer riptide bushings with previous drivetrain. I ripped out the 12s3p 40T battery from my mini to use too (previously ran a 12s5p so battery amps will be lowered). I ordered wider hangers to enable me to get more lean without hitting the deck but they’ve not arrived yet so I still can’t get the most out of this stuff yet. Eventually it will my running Boardnamics AT Gear drives with fullsendelectric 6384 170kv motors, 12s5p p42a (built by @glyphiks )

I pulled apart the last race setup to get my TBDD 4wd back up and running as Radium Performance finished the new and improved hangers but they’ve been held up in postage somewhere too so not sure if that board will be operational either for next event.

Sunday is the next race and I’m hoping to take both the 4wd DD and the quick ‘throw together’ boards down and see what track times I get in warm up. The open is unrestricted so I can use any board :blush:. I doubt the TBDD will be suited as it turns like a tank but I’m going to add some wedge risers and cone bushings to try get that thing turning better.

Hopefully by the third race of the series I’ll have my race board a little more together.

5 Likes

Race boards. Slightly quicker on the 4wd DD once I’d worn the new tyres in a bit. Still need to play around with bushings for easier turning.

On the 4wd DD I wedged the front changing it to 55 degrees but dewedged the rear to 45 degrees. Plenty stability but still working hard through bends. I went with softer barrels on rear and a softer barrel/cone combo on front. I think I can go a bit softer again.

On the throw together board it will be a BN gear drive with 270mm hangers, new fullsendelectric 6388 motors and 175mm pneumatics for next race. I’ll still run the same adjustable baseplate angles (55 front/30 rear) and bushings will go a fatcone/barrel combo on the rear.
Support crew in tow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Nice dude! Looks like you’re racing on ice

1 Like

Now you mention it, yeah it does haha. It’s polished concrete that has been given a slight rough up on track.

2 Likes

New build incoming soon!!! Few sneak peaks

7 Likes

Trimmed deck to stop wheel bite. Bit crude and used a grinder haha. Actually don’t mind new look.

Epoxied Barrel nuts in and fibreglassed over to lock in as learnt from @glyphiks

Hopefully I’ll have this build done within the week :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Getting there slowly…

8 Likes

Just realized I’ve not shown the semi finished product:

I had sensor issues so was running it sensorless but it’s top speed is too slow on 5.2 gear ratio topping out at 48km/h on 175mm wheels. The 8 inch i get too much wheel bite. It’s got a fuck tonne of torque though!!
The build is for racing in upcoming ERL events in Perth I need to fix the sensor issues for the race starts. Will be attempting to change gear ratios for higher top speed too.

Unfortunately I did something stupid and tried doing jumps a little bigger than a super stiff race setup should be doing and put cracks through multiple layers :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

So I managed to find another Switch 40 thankfully so back to deck prep:

6 Likes

Dude this is awesome
How did you get the Frit to not go on your design did you use plastic or painters tape or did you just wing it?
love your work bro thank you for sharing :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Thank @Nacho . Yeah nothing fancy. I cut some cardboard out to roughly go over the print and propped it up so it hovered just above the deck.

I’m doing a second skin on the landyachtz switch soon. One of Glyphiks fullsendelectric prints. :crossed_fingers: I can get it on straighter than the hulk image which is on the piss a little haha.

4 Likes

Dude you guys get all they pretty things in Australian :star_struck:

Australian women :star_struck:
@glyphiks voice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Great job Jeffy I’m going to attempt my first skin I need to pop my skin :cherries:

4 Likes

Skinned my second deck. Came up ok. Probably should have done a third white coat but ran out of patience.

Glassed bottom first. Unfortunately I had limited supply of cloth and had to do two segments. Not as strong but better than nothing I’m sure. Will be covered by enclosure anyway.

Sex bolts epoxied in and then fibreglass over top before skin went on.

6 Likes

Hell yeah buddy, nice work!

4 Likes