12S4P 21700 CompactPCB Battery Kit 2.0

Going to have a small initial batch of these kits available next week. This is a first run kit, so consider them beta, but this design is a progression based on previous designs we’ve been putting into use over the last year.

The kits will feature our new 4P 21700 Nickel Tab.

Here’s the PCB layout:

4P Frame w/ embedded nut

(updated 3d model coming soon)

Dimensions: 457 mm x 170 mm x 27.5mm

These batteries feature p-group frames that lock into the PCB via embedded nut + protrusion tabs & an FR4 bracket on the bottom side. This secures the mass of the cells directly to the PCB and reduces fatigue load on the nickel joints.

The main positive power output terminals also will come with an 80A bolt-on fuse.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/142-5631-5802/F10820-ND/2515911

More information on these kits will be available soon along with a build guide by our beloved @Benjamin

17 Likes

This is starting to look like a pcb system i can embrace. Nice work dude

You got dimensions?

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, intended on including it.

The vertical height right now is equal the height of the frame as I currently have it protruding about 3mm through the bottom of the PCB, so it looks like we could bring it down to about 26mm or so if we needed to shave some height.

3 Likes

2mm too wide to fit into a TB40 smh…

3 Likes

So that’s finished battery size?

1 Like

The final production version of the TB40 is 172mm wide.

168mm width isn’t feasible for 21700 in this configuration w/ cell frames, I recommend using the 4p 18650 CompactPCB if you need a smaller layout.

That’s overall bounding box, yep.

2 Likes

Cant wait to get my hands on some of these :grin:

3 Likes

dear robot,

I’m in the planning stages, sometime around the first of the year I’m going to build a replacement (upgrade) battery for the Kaly, so it needs some flex if’n I use your Kaly notched PCB, but I see it really isn’t designed around flex…

should I just plan on buying 4p brick pcbs or do ya think that the 12s4p pcb will fly?

thanks for your time

3 Likes

dear k00k,

I have something special in the works for the v2.0 12s4P “Kaly style” FlexPCB.

I am going to build one out myself before I pitch it too hard, but happy to share my details as I progress. It’s nearly finished, I pushed it back for a redesign because I had an idear to fix my concerns over the flex aspect.

Think 3 separate modular PCBs that hold 16 cells (4x 4pgroup) on each, connected via bush terminal & 10ga cable + flexible balance connectors.

8 Likes

then,

I shall await the unveiling of your FlexyPCB, I’ve got like 3 1/2 months, I like where you’re going with this, if it will all fit in the enclosure!!!

thanks buddy!

4 Likes

I have my poor gutted KalyKat (DIY Kaly 2.0) sitting here unloved and empty of battery, so I’ll be fitting everything into a stock 2.0 enclosure on the OG Kaly XL deck for this.

Shouldn’t be long on this one either, hoping later this month.

4 Likes

you my friend are doing skatans work… carry on!!!

4 Likes

You should be able to take a razor and make a diagonal cut to make room.

6 Likes

@Benjamin might be our unwilling resident expert on this :joy:

6 Likes

Cut the deck? Or the PCB? Ive got lots of sharp stuff, just point me to the things you want cut lol

6 Likes

Can the batteries be double stacked?

Also, which 21700 are the best for a 4p combo like this since some might have lower discharge?molicel?

5 Likes

moli or samsung 40t/30t if you are big and fast

VTC6A

5 Likes

In theory you can use the same PCB with an updated P-Group frame to build a 12S8P doublestack. I want to try this out but need to build & test it myself before considering it as a product offering.

8 Likes

I feel personally attacked.

Yeah those ones that Quinn said, for sure. In esk8 we need cells that both have high discharge and have high capacity. Those dont come cheap, but there are some really great options for 21700’s, more so than 18650’s.

6 Likes

Why would one pick 40t/30t over P42A?

3 Likes