Attempting the unfukkering of a fukkered FocBox

I know. It’s not cheap but that’s the kit, like 10 premeasured applications. I think it’s around 10 or 15 for 1. I bought a kit last year

3 Likes

auspicious

desoldered D101 from broke dick @fessyfoo FocBox 1.7 and soldered it on @Scepterr 1.6
and it fired up… no errors…

hmmmm to VESC tule I go…

4 Likes

7 Likes

I don’t remember what was wrong with it been laying in a drawer for years lol

5 Likes

ok… k00k moment…

In haste I inadvertently loaded FW5.01 but for HW48, not HW412…
now I just gotta unfucker that faux pas, and find my 4mm bullets

FW5.01 loaded up just fine and dandy for HW48…

why oh why do I do this shit to me?

4 Likes

if I remember correctly it was just the fet traces that were damaged, if this is the one I’m remembering it was phase shorted

3 Likes

hmmmm seems plausible… if you look at the center/left FET you can see solder ooze creeping out

3 Likes

Well… That didn’t end well…

It would seem, in my limited experience with directFETs… When they esplode, they tend to take the traces underneath with them…

After Max mentioned this BoxOfFoc may have endured phase-short, i decided to pop up the FET and check it out…

Definitely BLOWN…

And it took out all the “SOURCE” traces with it, just like Fess’s esploded FukBox…

I guess we’re done here…

Faaaaaaak

that may have been a blessing in disguise… I may have fukkered up a good motor running detection… and I’d have definitely let out more magic smoke…

I guess things happen for reasons…

9 Likes

If the traces are blown can you just run jumpers?

2 Likes

on DirectFETs the “SOURCE” traces are underneath the FET…

This is the bottom of the FET, the 8 solder pads are for SOURCE and the little piggy all alone to the left is the GATE…

I suppose it’s possible, but highly unlikely, the 8 source traces carry the motor current to the motor phase wire…

I guess if anybody had the FukBox gerbers (Hmmmm @Andrew) I could take a look at where and how the source traces get the AMPs from…

right now I’m 0 for 3 pulling up exploded directFets from the PCB with a hot-air station… I’ve never had any problem replacing FETs before on a multitude of kwad ESCs, but this is my first experience with dirctFETs…

5 Likes

this is the underside of the blown FET (right) the piece on the (left) is the traces that flaked off the FET after I desoldered the FET from the PCB…

3 Likes

I wanna see a mad max focbox.

4 Likes

I’m thinking about wiring it all up with a fukton of @Jujo fake 18650s, add an old cellfone to the top, with some electrical tape, and leave it somewhere under a bench…

:eyes:

or hand it off to some non-mask wearing Covid-Karen…

7 Likes

You have to superglue one of those old analog clocks with a bunch of random colored wires as a cherry on top

6 Likes

all do all the grunt work, and then send it to HaliBJ to complete the DIY garnish… he should be able to fukkitup enough to represent

:rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Omg bro, i can feel that burn from a mile away :rofl:

4 Likes

I can just imagine the face on those who will see that pass in the xray scan. Make sure to add someone else’s address on there

3 Likes

I have yours!!

5 Likes

All good. I still have the envelope the stickers came in for a glitter bomb

3 Likes

I don’t know what that means?

3 Likes