Bike coaster hub for esk8 wheels?

Wouldn’t it be nice to have the motors uncoupled while coasting?

I just looked a bit into bike freewheels and I was wondering why nobody yet came up with the idea to integrate those into our esk8 hubs.
In theory that could give us some extra range on top.

Besides the extra weight, why would it be a bad idea to do so?

3 Likes

No brakes…

2 Likes

On my children bike I can freeroll and brake with pedals. What’s different there?

1 Like

That’s a coaster hub, not a freewheel.

2 Likes

Hm… we can’t get that into our esk8 hubs? :joy:

No idea sorry bro. It’s an interesting concept.
I reckon servo actuated hydraulic discs would be cool with a freewheel hub.

1 Like

As we see i have no idea about the technical part… :joy: just, it would be really nice if it could work somehow.

3 Likes

I don’t either bro. I have mountain bikes but not too sure about the mechanisms of freewheels.

2 Likes

Here’s the inside of one. The only problem would be braking. Which is highly overrated in my opinion.

4 Likes

It’s thinking like this that leads to innovation!

2 Likes

Agreed… who can’t power slide isn’t worth riding anyway… :joy:

Disclaimer: I can’t power slide… :roll_eyes::joy:

Edit: I changed the title to coaster hub. Thought they are all called freewheel, just that there are different types.

3 Likes

Since your on the free wheel kick, what about using the pulleys and belts like ridewithokp did on that bike?

I‘m not up to date with what he did on his bike?

1 Like

Like theees…

1 Like

I actually made a vehicle using bicycle freewheel and 6380 motors. It was a total bitch to fabricate.

This is designed for a paramotor to be able to be driven on the ground without the prop spinning. Also you can land without motor drag.

5 Likes

Nice! What’s your conclusion on it? How does it hold up so far?
Aaand what about brakes? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Conclusion, it works , kinda loud when freewheeling.
This is a trike setup, I have springs on the front wheel to keep it pointing straight. I use the fred flintstone method of braking. But I have a big wing over my head that acts as a brake when I land

3 Likes