Update on the CNC project
Been working hard on the CNC the past months and it has been quite the rollercoaster. Overall Alessio (rey8801) helped me a lot, he got loads of experience from his build, his tips saved me heaps of time for sure, very grateful for that.
I am using Mach3 which is pretty great but a bit outdated, which was a hassle to setup sometimes. In the end I got the controll box working nicely. I also used a custom Mach3 screenset partially modified by Alessio which makes the software so much more user friendly.
After the electronic part was done I assembled all the mechanical parts which took a while to align. During that process I also installed the sensors on each axis, here you can see the X axis. Wrapped the cables in some self adhering rubber tape to get some extra protection.
After having the mill assembled it was pretty much a month of tweaking, disassembly, reassembly and trial and error. In the meantime I also finished the stand.
When I tested axis range I found the Y axis was more limited than I anticipated, so I took everything apart again and modded/angle grinded the Y axis pocket to allow the sled to move further back.
Having assembled everything and I performed some milling tests, I blew a powersupply because a tiny chip got into the enclosure and was sucked into the supply, which was frustrating but was luckely an easy fix since no other components blew. After that I installed some very fine mesh in front of the fans.
After having fixed the issues, I trammed all the axis which was also a tedious process but worth it in the end.
Then I received a modular vise setup, which Alessio designed based off the SMW modvise setup and ordered for us from China. This setup is so great and practical. It allows you to use very low profile vise jaws which can be repositioned into all kind configurations within minutes. I 3D printed small tpu plugs to fill up the holes and also made some coloured tpu plugs which will later on mark certain setup positions.
Subsequently, I had to reface the spindle face because this face was not completely parallel to the bed. First I dressed the dremel stone grinding wheel with a diamond dressing tool and after, I faced the spindle surface 0.005 mm at a time.
I tried to tweak the (tool & toolholder) runout to be lower but at some point I just had to tell my self that this was still a DIY CNC and that with the current Mill I use as a base, I cannot achieve insane accuracy and runout.
Now it was SHOWTIMEE
And Im quite happy about how it runs atm.
Got some nice surface results and machined a few bits and bops already.
TO DO LIST
Learn more Fusion360 CAM techniques
Configure and use probing tool
Make a coolant setup
Calibrate for backlash
Install a chip chield on the front of the Y axis
Install wipers for the ways
Make the mill look nicer (machine custom front plate)
To be continued…