eMTB vs Carver builds

That looks like a FIIK reborn as something greater.

6 Likes

Cā€™mon people, letā€™s not be Size Queens here. Carvers and eMTB can come in many shapes & sizes :wink:

For me the difference lies entirely in the intended application of the board, as that determines what your build spec prioritizes.

Carvers: Urban/Street/Light-AT. I use this kind of build to get around Portland, which has a mix of road conditions, bridges, parks, bike trails, and city. Production examples in ranges from lighter weight 14kg street carvers (Kaly 2.0) to heavier 20-30kg longer range cruisers (Nazere/Lonestar/Kaly5.0). Geared towards street top speeds of 50-75km/h (generalized range).

eMTB: Off-road, All terrain. BMX Parks, trail riding, forests, track courses. Purpose built for a more specialized application with emphasis on rider stability and traction to the board, clearance, and higher gear ratios giving better torque for low-speed climbing. Geared towards top speeds of 40-55km/h (generalized range).

My carver builds came as a result of me wanting longer range city-commute capable boards that were more stable at higher speeds + more comfortable to ride for longer ranges. Iā€™ve grown to enjoy the feel of a heavier board beneath my feet but still enjoy lighterweight boards such as my LaKaly/Prototipo carvers.

I view my eMTB builds as very course-specific. My current build on the bench, for example, is a Haero deck, 6:1 E-Toxx Helical, Fatboy320, Etoxx Hubbs w/ 9" knobby tires, 140KV 6396 motors, and 2 choices of top-mount battery pack (one lightweight jump-pack + a heavier one for forest crawling).

I definitely find hybrid builds like in the OP, or some of the boards Sender has built, but they tend to ride more like skateboards with a carver/mtb deck than a true carver/eMTB.

8 Likes

Has anyone ever electrify one of those carver boards?

image image

9 Likes

Liking the treads on number two. :+1:t2::+1:t2:

4 Likes

Apparently those are 3ā€ tires

http://shop.carveusa.com/products/carveboard-natural

4 Likes

damn. thatā€™s a short carver.

7 Likes

7 Likes

@BillGordon you gotta show these guys whatā€™s what.

3 Likes

Guess Iā€™ve got to remove the fake binding and find an undermount enclosure for my ā€œcarverā€ :no_mouth:

5 Likes

You have your front truck backwards

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe I do? Maybe a camera angle?

2 Likes

Just claim youā€™re experimenting with flipping the rake and itā€™s intentional. :joy:

5 Likes

What he said

3 Likes

Trampa hanger is designed to be flipped for more ground clearance on smaller wheels.

Given that this is the street carver deck and narrower hangers I would guess that it shipped from trampa in this orientation.

6 Likes

Itā€™s a holypro 14ply with mini infinity street carver trucks

Edit: Found the old order photo from 2018

2 Likes

I am aware of that. However he is using 7 or 8" wheels.
If the setup is intentional though :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Fun fact. On the LaCroix prototipos, the rear MBS hanger is flipped backwards, I assume to make use of the threaded hole in the hanger for motor mounting.

I donā€™t think it makes any difference tho.

4 Likes

Honestly I have no idea. Itā€™s how I received it and after seeing a few others that way, I always assumed there was a reason beyond me to keep it that way. What would it change? I can already hit 60kmh before wobbles get uncomfortable and I havenā€™t seen a problem with my turning radius šŸ¤·

You received it that way because you ordered it with 83mm wheels.
Theoretically it will be less stable and have a tighter turning radius as you have it.

I had to flip my matrix baseplates to match my deck cut and was told by mbs it will raise the height and shorten the wheel base a tiny bit.

6 Likes