eMTB vs Carver builds

Cool, well I will stay the course then guys, thanks for the feedback!

9 Likes

I hope so! We have a mini crew starting over here. Iā€™m building something similar to what youā€™re doing. And I too struggled with what direction the board was gonna go. Ended up choosing a more urban direction with a belly mount. Finally decided to print some concave and ditching the bindings for now. At a standstill on parts purchasing atm, but I now know how sheā€™ll look.
We should defo go for a rip sometime next year. Hw 1a is closed due to Covid and itā€™s fucking fantastic! Maybe we could all meet up there?

2 Likes

that would be super sweet. We have the beginnings of a little crew forming here as well, this summer was really the first time we started meeting up for group rides, so that was pretty fun. Calgary closed a bunch of streets due to covid which has been a riot, nothing like owning the whole road to carve your heart out, so much fun. We have a fb group, calgary electric skateboard and pev, say hi there and we can try and plan something, realistically it may have to be next spring, we are on borrowed time I think!

3 Likes

OK, Iā€™ve got the deck and enclosure for my carver build, but now need to decide how to transfer the power to the wheels. My rear truck is slightly bent and the ATC mountā€™s center distance is too close for comfort with 8" roadies. So, do I stick with a belt drive or take the opportunity to buy my first gear drive?

With torque/top speed on a gear drive, you are stuck with the ratio vs the configurable options you get with pulleys for belts. Am I wrong?

Other differences I understand are noise and maintenance. I want to hear from the riders here who use both and their preferred setup on their carver.

1 Like

I think most gear drives gave a fixed tooth count for the wheel gear, but the motor gear can be changed for different ratios. Its definitely a bit more of a ballache to change your configuration tho, becauseā€¦ grease :rofl:

6 Likes

My first carver is coming along nicelyā€¦ I just need a battery and Iā€™m golden!!!

8 Likes

And the fact most people loctite their pinions on. What a headache.

1 Like

Apparently Iā€™m building a mutt lol.

Bindings - no
Top Mount enclosure - yes
Bottom mount enclosure - maybe yes as well

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how I feel. Lol.

Top mounted pack. Geared for 45 but I still ride off-road. 10" Roadies for clearance but most of m commute in is on road so knobby tires would wear off fast.
The off-road fore trails around here are littered with a mix of huge rocks and sand

2 Likes

Iā€™m coming around to the idea of a carver. Iā€™m starting to see them in the hole that supermotos fill in motorcycles. Allows for on road hooliganism. I didnā€™t realize I needed a supermoto until I realized I could wheelie anywhere, takes steps up or down, and cut across the park.

7 Likes

Bottom enclosure on that eboardsolutions deck is very brittle, better not take it offroad if you mount it.

3 Likes

Yeah it broke after being bolted to the deck lol.
Iā€™m using my bottom enclosure for wires mostly.
Gonnna make something that shares the same threaded inserts, more of a skid plate with wire chanel.

3 Likes

6 Likes

What rims and slick tires are those? Look wide, 3"?

4 Likes

@Redeye Rims are from an old carve board that sat on a super responsive deck with 11" spring trucks. Tires are dragon paws 8x3 sub branded for carve board. The other rims sitting there are some first run tiller sixshooters that I absolutely love. Waiting on pulleys for the slicks now to continue the build. AWD using 6355s front mounted with 4 focboxā€™s and 12s5p. Should be a good time.

3 Likes

Donā€™t know really where to post this, so Iā€™ll try here.

I received my Haero board last week and slowly planning to build a carver.

I want to use 3DS Fatboy 320 hangers with Etoxx offset hubs. Iā€™m leaning towards getting 3DS geardrives but I understand they are not compatible with the Etoxx hubs and I would need to have custom adapter made.

How do Etoxx geardrives compare to 3DS geardrives? Are Etoxx geardrives suitable for carver (I went on Etoxx site and they seemed to be make stuff for eMTB)?

2 Likes

Etoxx is very high quality

4 Likes

I believe the e-toxx mini for the trampa hanger might fit fatboy hangers. Ask Jens @NoWind. He can do both 4:1 and 5:1 in that drive.

3 Likes

hideous! :slight_smile:

2 Likes