FreeSK8 BMS

This is the place for any and all discussions regarding the new FreeSK8 BMS.

13 Likes

w8ing

7 Likes

My body and mind are ready.

11 Likes

I am very interested on what the cost on this sucker will be.

If it is lower than a smart BMS, which I think it wouldn’t be

then I would be getting these only

most likely worth all the $20?$30? more without question

6 Likes

What voltage will they be made for? 10s? 12s?

6 Likes

6S to 15S I think

3 Likes

@Andrew is there a plan maybe to do battery pcb with integrated bms and as switch or maybe some modular system but quite integrated ? Modular system would be even better :slight_smile: I can wait just give me some hope… :pray:

2 Likes

As a design philosophy I tend to dislike all-in-one solutions that don’t allow for sub-modules to be replaced. Currently everything works standalone but designed to work in harmony.

6 Likes

A modular pcb with mountable modules (ex.:BMS, antispark, voltage gauge)
One breaks, you just desolder the module and replace it. Or have it link into the main PCB with headers

3 Likes

Wire is more flexible :wink: but I bet you could make things rigidly attached quite easily.

2 Likes

Sure but if the design from start is simply plug and play into a main PCB, (imo) it removes alot of work related to how you’re going to wire up everything. I feel like a modular option might appeal to a larger crowd of undecided builders

For example, a battery PCB with a header could easily be wired with a BMS whether you want it attached or external/optional vs having to make a full harness like the one Benjamin did.

2 Likes

Yeah what @Flasher said. It’s hard for me to put it in words as I’m not good in english but idea was to have it like computer mother board being the pcb with batteries and bms is ram and esc let’s say gpu.
Obviously we won’t be able to rid off wires but it could be planed well to save space and have short wires and tidy safe system.

3 Likes

A “backplane” could be a separate product option, a lot like the ideas from @Lukas and @Flasher. Not needed if using wiring but could use right angle board edge connectors to mount boards together using a shared bus and a small “backplane” board.

Just tossing out ideas as I rummage through the latest threads. :grin:

9 Likes

Keep them coming! Much appreciate your participation here dude!

8 Likes

A few ideas for a new BMS

• 2nd standby low power discharge path for certain modules like an Alarm device or LTE.
  • motion detection to turn on the system
  • Bluetooth
  • separate power and logic board so the power PCB can be adapted according to the battery pack design
2 Likes

Open Souce FOXBMS

https://foxbms.org/