FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

The one straight from Ben Vedder’s website. I could send it to you but i can’t seem to send it here, maybe DM me your email and i’ll pop it to ya

3 Likes

Ok, fw at 5.1 now and FreeSK8 recognized unity and connected, thanks @BillGordon and @Linny!

Now I’m trying to get the Robogotchi to connect. Every time I select it to enter the pin, a pop-up shows disconnected and just stays on this screen stating ESC hw loading. I kept here for over 20mim, but no change. Rebooted and tried connecting in phone BT menu first, but that didn’t work either. Any ideas?

4 Likes

Did you generate the unique pin id?

3 Likes

If not, press B1 and a 5-digit code will pop up on screen. Write it down and use that when pairing.

4 Likes

Also, if you haven’t, you’re going to have to run detection and enter your values for the esc configuration.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had the pin ready, but it never let me enter it on my phone, just kept disconnecting every time I try to enter the pin.

Success! I restarted my phone and press and held B1 for 5 seconds to clear previous devices and then it allowed me to enter pin and connect after that. So all setup now on both the ESC and Robogotchi.

I’m excited to test out the esc profiles and have one setup for legal German speed limit of 6km/h.

I also like the idea of the 5.1 smart reverse feature.

Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

This isn’t the right place for this but there are issues with 5.1. At minimum you need to adjust the duty cycle limit start. If you use motor sensors, there are additional concerns. You probably are well aware, but folks usually have issues when going from unity software to vesc until they familiarize themselves with the differences.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up, I have only used the unity sw, so I have some learning to do.

4 Likes

Learn by reading, not by stacking! I think it’s 85% recommended for duty cycle start.

2 Likes

Who are you, and what have you done with Al?

4 Likes

Which port did you connect to on the unity? The hidden one under the silicone sleeve? The 8 pin port cant fit into the unity’s 7 pin UART haha.

1 Like

I changed the 8 pin that came with the Robogotchi to a 7 pin connector to use the visible uart port.

4 Likes

EOL yes. unstable though?

i thought it was:

fw 23.46 is “if it aint broke don’t fix it”
fw 5.1 is sometimes considered unstable. “median filter bug”, “need to configure duty cycle current limit start properly”

I take it for robogotchi we need vedder firmware?

1 Like

23.45 was unstable enough to be root cause in a crash that tore my ACL and removed a chunk of my knee in 2019.

One revision up from that on a dead codebase = unstable/dangerous in my opinion.

With fw5.1 we have known issues with direct workarounds. There have been numerous stability and code improvements since Jeffro forked for unity codebase 2-3 years ago.

3 Likes

oh yes. 23.45 had a clear dangerous bug introduced in that version. same bug as 3.63. both known issues and fixed in the next version.

I see your perspective.

I disagree that numerous vesc releases add stability though, as there’s no QA suite other than time. as evidenced by people had to encounter the known issues in 5.1 to know them.

23.46 has also given no one any trouble that I’ve heard of. has no known issues. it has more time being stable than 5.1 so from a different perspective it’s stable.

but I get what you’re saying now. thanks.

4 Likes

Have you done an AB load test comparing fw5.1+ to 23.46?

I’ve found the original Unity firmware cannot be pushed as hard in regards to motor/battery amps & load, and thus produced more faults in general. I also encountered a bug on 2 different boards where the secondary side would flip direction. Had it happen a total of 4 times, but went away after reboot.

This is all pre-robogotchi so I’m sharing my own anecdotal experience here. Point being is that I’ve had numerous “fuck that” examples of instability on the legacy unity firmware.

5 Likes

Fair. That’s the first I’ve heard of anyone having troubles on 23.46. so noted.

i did forget that the unity randomly loses it’s motor settings. but idk if that’s fw or hw issue.

4 Likes

Oh yes, that too.

3 Likes

After much consideration i have come to the conclusion that this must be a hardware issue as i have never seen it happen on any other esc and it seems to have persisted through many different firmware versions. Not spent much time on a unity on 5.1 but i assume it still happens there too.

if it ever gets released i think 5.2 is going to be good. Its been in testing for a long time now and there’s been no big changes to the throttle side of things for a while.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m late and thank you for the feedback. In the next version this alert will be a little more descriptive.

4 Likes