FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

Please use this thread to discuss any aspect of the FreeSK8 Robogotchi and the add-on GPS Module.

Documentation:

Firmware Release Notes:

v0.5.0

• Adding NACK handler to resume a broken sync
  • Clear GPS data on disconnect without an active fix
  • Testing fix for steady tone

v0.4.2

• Monitor GPS data reception to notify on physical disconnect
  • Include GPS statistics with status packet
  • Removed transmission of unsolicited status packets
  • Intended for use FreeSK8 Mobile 0.7.0

v0.4.1

• Checking sync_in_progress flag to prevent logging and unwanted messages during sync
  • Checking sync_in_progress flag before attempting to close an unopened file
  • Fixes interruption of sync process if auto logging is triggered
  • Fixes hault condition in firmware

v0.4.0

• Inital beta release
11 Likes

More info, thoon.

These babies are in production though, and we’re excited.

25 Likes

What are the dimensions and hole pattern on this? Im going to try to draw up a case. Or is that not advised?

2 Likes

way to go peoples

they will be available in store soon? I wanna get along with a nrf or 2

2 Likes

I’m awaiting DHL Express tracking on the first batch. Final assembly of major components is still done in-house atm, so hoping to have the first batch available in the next 10 days or so - Robogotchis & GPS modules

Global logistics are still a bit tricky/slow, so standing up production has been an added challenge. Things are rolling along nicely now though!

5 Likes

I missed this. I’ll get a 3d model of the Robogotchi v1.2 uploaded this evening + some dimensional drawings. The overall formfactor shouldn’t change much if we rev it again, the last rev change reduced overall size by about 25%, can’t go much smaller than that.

4 Likes

Not much time for arsing about eh? Hoping to free up some esk8 building time soon and this is so very exciting.

Ps. I fried my Trampa nrf, probably for the best

4 Likes

Will be glad to get rid of this nonsense.

5 Likes

Sorry for off topic, but what is exactly the nonsense you would be glad to get rid of? List view hard to navigate? Do you think calendar view is better?

14 Likes

I like the calendar view personally!

We still haven’t figured out the final plan for log listing/management; currently we’re just using a sortable list.

5 Likes

Got an Out for Delivery notification from DHL this AM, which means Robogotchi & GPS modules are arriving today!

@Jujo you had asked about dimensions, so here are the basic overall:

Probably easier to just download the whole 3d model though, STEP uploaded here: :wink:

11 Likes

That’s exciting news! How do we sign up?

5 Likes

For these first batches, we’re sending units out to our internal development team & current Patreon FreeSK8 Founder & Corporate Overlord level supporters first, and whatever remaining inventory is left will be listed on the DRI shop- first come, first serve.

As soon as Renee & I test out this first batch of Robogotchi & GPS modules (just arrived today), I’ll trigger pull another production run this week to get more inventory rolling.

We plan on having a similar release model for all of our FreeSK8 hardware releases.

11 Likes

7 Likes

So you’re saying if I became an overlord, I would receive products earlier?

3 Likes

The Founder & Overlord tiers are both provided with beta hardware donated by DRI (were matching the patron contribution amount in hardware donations). So yes, you’d have earlier & guaranteed access to beta hardware, provided as a perk at no additional costs beyond your Patreon contributions.

Felt like this was a fairly equitable way to reward our founding supporters. :wink:

3 Likes

No that’s totally fair, and that’s why I just signed up for that tier :joy:

But I’m a little confused. There’s the Freesk8 NRF52 but what’s the difference to the Robogotchi?

3 Likes

ROBOGOTCHI is an automated logger with GPS
Nrf52 is a Bluetooth module

I will edit if @Andrew tells me this is utterly wrong

Edit: apparently my phone autocorrects “robogotchi” to ROBOGOTCHI in caps 🤷

4 Likes

So essentially the NRF52 can be used to monitor our boards battery percentage, speed, etc in real time through our phone

And the ROBOGOTCHI saves all that information and keeps a log of essentially everything including GPS location without the use of our phones?

3 Likes

That is my understanding of it

Also, did you just say you joined me in the corporate overlord world?

2 Likes