General/New User Helpline

I would scrap the bms and go with a smart bms for sure. Not only will that discharge bms be excessively large, without physically accessing it and the connections, you won’t be able to monitor your battery health. I would recommend the LLT smart bms at this stage. https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/13s-48v-li-ion-battery-pcb-board-54-6v-lithium-bms-with-60a-discharge-current-for-electric-motorcycle-and-e-scooter-protection-2-2-3-2-2-2-2-2/

I can’t speak from experience about the stormcore app, but from what I have seen, it seems to have a lot of promising features.

I can speak from experience with the davega and the metr. The davega is pretty cool… when it works. I’ve had loads of issues with mine, it’s much better off in the box that it came in sitting on my shelf. Heaps easier to deal with there. I would say the davega is one of the best options for live data, rather than logging.

As it stands, until the robot man releases his fabled Robogotchi, the Metr Pro is probably the best ride logging tool available. Apart from a few little quirks, I really love my metr and it’s one component that I think pretty much every esk8 should have. It will provide live data, comprehensive ride logging and the ability to alter vesc settings over bluetooth. Its a winner.

4 Likes

Thanks a ton for your feedback Glyphiks, super appreciated. I’m going to grab one of those smart bms units you linked to. Does it matter which option I select as far as the lith-ion options they sell? Options from 20a to 60a, but I’m assuming that would be discharge current which I wouldnt be using anyway. I’m thinking the 30amp version would be fine?

Bummer to hear about the issues with the Davega, its really the only live data options I’ve come across, perhaps I can live without a live speed readout hmmm. Ill do some more reading on the metr, seems like an awesome little unit, and reasonably priced.

Thanks again

3 Likes

Metr is a great solution, but don’t sleep on the upcoming Robogotchi. Automatic ride logging is super attractive to me.

3 Likes

Is there any sort of time line for the robogotchi?

2 Likes

Next few days/weeks

2 Likes

Here’s the latest update:

3 Likes

Entirely possible bro. Keep your eyes trained on where you want to be going - it’s safer that way :joy:

Personally don’t understand why i would need to know my speed while riding…? Is it to stop getting pinged for speeding by the cops?

4 Likes

I have my davega for that very specific reason.
Summed up convo with an officer 2 months ago:
“How fast can it go?”
“As fast as I want but for safety, I never go above 30kmh”
“And how would you know that?”
“This right here is my davega. Gives me speed, battery, distance and tells me if there’s a problem with the boards computer”
“That’s smart. Have a nice day but keep clear of cars in the future”
“You too officer and I will”

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the Robogotchi Bill! looks really cool, I’m going to give it a try

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s cool to have but entirely unnecessary.

1 Like

Why do you set the max total current so high?

1 Like

40A per motor is not that high most 6355 can take 30% more current

1 Like

I just got an invoice for the davega. Is it worth getting? If I’m getting the robogatchi?

1 Like

I bailed on my invoice.

1 Like

No, max total… not motor or battery.

1 Like

If you have a use for on the spot reading of speed and battery, sure go for it. ROBOGOTCHI will still give all the logging goodies. I personally got it at first cus I used to have a phone strapped to the deck and needed something cleaner.

Also, as CarlSagan42 would say

SHINY

5 Likes

I set it high because I dont want my vesc to shut down from a spike

5 Likes

This dude wants to enable reverse for his wheelchair mod. Helping him get up to speed with vesc/remote options in a PM, but he still needs more torque than he’s getting now.

Can anyone else jump in and lend a hand?

3 Likes

Question is what is his budget he is willing to investigate and how high his grade of diy involved can go.
For more torque I would probably go dual 6384 low kV with a pulley setup connected to the back wheels. Under his seat should be more then enough place for a nice esc and battery box.
Optional he might be able to change his back wheels to bicycle hub motors? Should give him definitely more then enough torque I guess.

Low cost option could be just to get the same setup like he has now an mount it parallel.

Doesn’t fix his reverse issue thou. Not sure if that’s possible with the escs he is using.

1 Like

That’s really interesting. Would solve the power issues permanently.

1 Like