General/New User Helpline

Not sure what to do or where to turn? At the end your PEV rope? Thinking of ending it all and buying a pair of pink, sparkly rollerblades?

We got you. Just share the issues with your DIY/prebuilt or questions about an intended purchase here. We’ll do our best to help.

13 Likes

There are no stupid questions here friends, only stupid answers.

12 Likes

If I see another mention of PEV instead of esk8 I am going to flip out.
I have no issue with anyone asking question about unicycles, bikes, onewheels etc but this political correctness is getting on my nerves.
The name of the forum is freesk8 FFS…

5 Likes

Don’t flip out, Tazinator. There’s a surprising number of people on both the old forum (not the old, old forum) and in the DRI/FreeSK8 Telegram chat talking about e-bikes, Onewheels and scooters as well as esk8s.

Considering we all face the same electronics hurdles and legislative challenges, it makes sense to be more agnostic about what people ride.

I myself plan to either build or buy an e-bike over the next six months or so.

5 Likes

As I stated, I have not issue about people asking for advice on whatever EV.
Hell if they ask for advice on anything I have some knowledge and can help I see no reason not too.
I am just sick of the current political correctness where you can’t call an apple an apple because the pear will feel left out.
Anyway. Carry on.

4 Likes

That was in the strictest of confidence Bill.

8 Likes

He can tell people his own secrets, you just can’t out him.

3 Likes

@BillGordon what to do if I buy the wave drive train and it doesn’t fit/work my x1pro?

3 Likes

I will respect the on-topic rules instead of responding to this personal attack.

2 Likes

Sorry, thought you were goofing on me. Mod fail. Apologies, Frame.

4 Likes

its alright, shit happens sometime. we shake hands, wash hands and move on :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yay found my favorite thread :joy:

What would happen if I were to use my 100w USB c cable/wall charger combo to plug my puck? It’s made to run at 19v/5a for my phone but I don’t wanna feed that to the puck. Would the circuit on the puck prevent this?

2 Likes

How would you plug type c into micro? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

By switching out the stupid micro.
And in the meanwhile, I have these

2 Likes

Usb-c is the future (for the next few years)

2 Likes

I tried those adapters xD

It will work, but only on cables with type A on the other side.

Cables with type c on both sides (the ones with the fancy high voltage negotiation) would not work at all with that adapter (or type c transplanted into the puck I guess). They don’t just default to 5 volt for some reason.

Type c plug is great physically, but the data/power protocols are a shitshow :rofl:

3 Likes

That sucks.

So a standard usb-c to usb-a with a 19v wall charger will switch to 5v but a usb-c to usb-c won’t?

2 Likes

Pretty much.

I think type A is always 5v.

2 Likes

My lg g8x uses a 19v wall charger with usb a

2 Likes

Ahh thanks for the redirect @glyphiks

alright. Prepare the facepalms. Ive always had this gross concept error and never bothered to correct myself.

Assuming 12s4p 30Q with dual TB6380 190kv which is a pretty common set up…
What would be the general set up for each of these and why? (Let’s assume total. So add both vesc values)

Motor Amps
Motor brake
Absolute max current
Battery max
Battery current
Regen

Even if we set motor amps to 80A, wouldn’t battery current set to 60A prevent motor amps from reaching 80A anyways? And what’s battery max vs battery current? To have stronger brakes at higher speeds, should I increase motor brake or regen?

Also what actually causes ESCs to fail? I’ve been blessed by the gods and never had a failure and I’ve probably worked on a dozen boards. Assuming we kept within rated operating limits, why do they send you flying? AS failure, direct fet failure, blown drv, thermal throttling? What in the hell is all this

3 Likes