General/New User Helpline

I set it high because I dont want my vesc to shut down from a spike

5 Likes

This dude wants to enable reverse for his wheelchair mod. Helping him get up to speed with vesc/remote options in a PM, but he still needs more torque than heā€™s getting now.

Can anyone else jump in and lend a hand?

3 Likes

Question is what is his budget he is willing to investigate and how high his grade of diy involved can go.
For more torque I would probably go dual 6384 low kV with a pulley setup connected to the back wheels. Under his seat should be more then enough place for a nice esc and battery box.
Optional he might be able to change his back wheels to bicycle hub motors? Should give him definitely more then enough torque I guess.

Low cost option could be just to get the same setup like he has now an mount it parallel.

Doesnā€™t fix his reverse issue thou. Not sure if thatā€™s possible with the escs he is using.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really interesting. Would solve the power issues permanently.

1 Like

Just donā€™t know how single drive would work there. Worried that it will make the wheelchair drift in one direction. Definitely would go with dual but smaller motors then.

I also have seen something on e-drift trikes that could work.
Basically an esk8 truck with wheels and motors (or hub motors) and then mounted in the back under the seat.

Tried to find the picture, but couldnā€™t find it anymore.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is his main goal.

Thatā€™s a nice solution as well.

It can be done with switching phase wires, but not sure how thatā€™s possible with those escs. Probably really best for him just to change the esc to a vesc based one.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s why I signed up haha

1 Like

Hey everyone. First time setting up a vesc myself and seem to have been successful so far. I am however unsure about regeneration brake settings. Iā€™m using a stormcore 60d, 12s9p using 40t cells and TB 190kv 6380 motors. Iā€™ve had a few break in rides and everything seems to be doing what itā€™s supposed to but as far as brakes go hereā€™s my niggle. From my back of the napkin calculations my pack should have a max regen tolerance of 48 amps. Is it common to push this number a bit for braking performance or should I keep that as the maximum? At first I spaced on calculating this number and on initial vesc set up set it at -30amps for each vesc output, so 60amps total. I found the brakes at that level a bit aggressive for my taste, so I changed the braking curve to -20% and set the curve to natural. To me the brakes feel right about where I would want themā€¦ but then I remembered that I should calculate the max charge rate, and coming up with 48 amps it seems maybe I have it too high. What do you think? Should I lower it or leave it? Pre thanks

5 Likes

Iā€™m pretty conservative, so I would drop it to -40 combined and put the braking curve back to default, then see how it feels. Youā€™ll have room to bump it up later.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply Bill. When you say your conservative, your saying you set yours up even lower than the pack charge allowance? So with my pack allowance being 48 amps I should start with 20 x2 for 40 amps total and see how that goes?

3 Likes

Iā€™m in the camp of setting brake regen to whatever you need to comfortably brake.

The pack will rarely, if ever, see that max regen current continuously, and if it does, iā€™m tipping that you need your brakes in that moment and without them youā€™d be fucked.

Brakes are more important than battery cycle life. Set it to where you are comfortable with your braking power and donā€™t think too much more about it. Youā€™re not gonna start a fire.

8 Likes

Thank you for this, thatā€™s a really solid point.

5 Likes

For reference, my brakes are generally around -50 to -80 per motor (depending on gearing), but I never need to pull the full trigger on brakes. Thats just the range that is most comfortable to me.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve got about 5 days riding on my build and its working pretty flawless minus one thing thats bugging me. If I start out from a complete stop the motors intermittently arenā€™t smooth getting the board moving. It even seems like 1 motor maybe goes very slightly in reverse before going forward, it almost feels notchy in the power delivery. Iā€™ve relearned the motors multiple times, its set up for sensors and I canā€™t get it to go away. The work around is giving it a slight push then it gets on fine but it is pretty annoying. Normal? Or is there some way to smooth this out? Stormcore 60d, TB 6380 190kv

3 Likes

When you go through the motor wizard it lists up sensors after detection? Maybe something wrong with your hall sensors.
With this said, I kinda have the feeling that on one of my boards the sensors as well do not work properly even so they are listed after detection on FW5.1.

One option would be to ditch the hall sensors and give HFI a try.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s weird. Not much value to sensors if you have to BLDC start. Like @Andy87 said, try HFI and at the very least, you can see if thereā€™s a bigger issue at play.

4 Likes

Thanks guys, Iā€™ll play around with hfi see where that gets me. Much appreciated

3 Likes

Youā€™ll need this

6 Likes