FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

Correct. Think of it like a blackbox flight recorder for your esk8.

The NRF52 BLE module is just for connecting to the app and viewing real-time data or adjusting configuration

With the Robogotchi, it’ll hold up to weeks of ride time logs, so you can sync up with the app at a later time and it will upload any logs that are available on your board.

We’re also working on an alert & fault monitoring system via audio alerts & light indicators for various temperature, voltage thresholds & fault alerts.

4 Likes

I did! As soon as @Andrew said you receive beta hardware before everyone else lol. I just figured as the official freesk8 fanboi, I should at least show were my wallet’s loyalty stands

5 Likes

Wow this is super rad. I leave for a few months and there’s all this new cool stuff coming.
Definitely wanna get my hands on one of these.

4 Likes

What a great analogy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure if I’m following this correctly or not. If I’m using a stormcore 60d with a puck and it’s receiver, if I choose to use a robogotghi do I also need the nrf Bluetooth module?

In this setup, the Robogotchi could act as your primary BLE connection instead of the integrated NRF-BLE module in the stormcore. Your Puck remote setup would be unaffected. Good question though! We’re going to be testing across a number of different hardware setups so I’m sure we’ll find some quirks.

Integrated > modular in terms of physical electronics integrity?

For instance a loose wire or loose module bashing about, ok user error essentially.

Whereas if the onboard fails it’s pretty much game over for the ESC

Also if the logger is logging is there dedicated protection to give precedence to receiving the remote comms?

Total spit-ball

I can almost smell the tracking number :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s hard to explain without diving deep into the technical side of things, but we are using dedicated radio receivers for the remote control system that have their own dedicated CPUs, etc. They are completely separate systems even though they interact, and we decided to move away from NRF as a means of remote-control connection (hence the OSRR/remote release delay).

The Robogotchi can be plugged into either UART port on either ESC, or directly into our upcoming FreeSK8 Core (receiver/central hub unit with secondary UART outputs for logging).

4 Likes

Thanks for polishing my ignorance and placing it on the top shelf of your china hutch for all to see :disappointed:

2 Likes

It may be because I’m perpetually inebriated and forgot about it, or because you have never mentioned it. I feel like this is the first I am hearing of the Core. Please elaborate.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Andrew was a dealer in a past life. The way he gets your attention with one new DRI part and then nonchalantly brings up other parts like you already know what he’s talking about.

5 Likes

I think he initially mentioned it as a Freesk8 Hub where everything can essentially be plugged into

1 Like

Thanks Andrew. So the robogotchi has its own bluetooth module meaning I can skip the separate nerf module?

2 Likes

6 Likes

The FreeSK8 Core used to just be the FreeSK8 Receiver, but when we pulled the plug on NRF based remotes, both the Remote & Receiver got a total overhaul.

The updated receiver is now called the FreeSK8 Core- it has a dual core MCU, WiFi, and additional UART ports so you can plug in a Robogotchi directly to it. It also has I2C ports for connection to peripherals like the LightShow Module.

TLDR; FreeSK8 Core = Redesigned FreeSK8 Receiver

Correct. The Robogotchi offers a BLE connection.

3 Likes

My board already has a GPS top mounted can I connect my nema6 unit via UART. Deck has some CF so GPS won’t work in enclosure.

2 Likes

We have zero intention of mounting our GPS module inside the enclosure :wink:

We’re working on a top/baseplate mounted solution for it, intended mounting location is on top of your rear baseplate.

That module you have shown might be compatible- most of the protocols are somewhat standardized. We’ll work out a list of compatible modules later on. Our own module has an RTC w/ supercap backup so certain features will need to be present.

5 Likes

This was my first try at a real object in fusion

Going through a few iterations

v4 currently printing at slow speeds for best results :grin:

@Andrew @skate420 would you mind giving it a try and tell me your thoughts while I wait for a physical proof of concept?

3 Likes

Came out pretty good :love_you_gesture:

8 Likes