FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

Probably have to make another top without the header hole, didn’t notice the pdf render of the product didn’t have it

The fun will be making it waterproof…

2 Likes

Not quite sure how to do that with the fact there are buttons to press :thinking:

Water resistant maybe

2 Likes

Looking great guys

I will be honest, I’m really on the fence between this and the MetrCAN

Both seems like a good option, obvious Metr is way more polished on the app side since it’s been on the market for a few years and Roman has put a lot of time on it, but yours also has the potential to be equality good

I guess I will have to put one of each on two board

3 Likes

Both look really good I will buy both and have a few iloggers on order as well, ilogger is less of a real-time solution. My fav will be DRI as it’s open source I would like to add 4G or Lora for antitheft, real-time upload.

3 Likes

Music to my ears. The FreeSK8 Core getting WiFi capabilities is a step towards exactly this- the idea of the board uploading logs via WiFi each time you plug in to charge is very appealing to me.

PS: rev1.2 Robogotchi & GPS prototypes are coming along nicely!

9 Likes

7 Likes

This is awesome

How do you do the charger connected detection without manually turning the esc on?

1 Like

This is all from our own BMS, which will function in an always-on/sleep state. Can turn ESCs on over canbus if needed, but while charging only the BMS needs to be on.

Interesting, integrate all that on my current board is not possible, but will certainly keep it in mind for a future one

Do you guys have more public info on the BMS? I don’t remember reading about it before

This is cool to see on thingiverse already :slight_smile:

I did a quick print but my latest revision Robogotchis are doing shipping things so what I have on hand does not fit in the case. I did align the screen because I had doubts that everything would fit but it does!

The buttons are short so they are going to be hard to press like this. Maybe a cap that sits over the buttons and sticks out the holes would work? Talk about a small print though. Maybe some cutout like buttons could be incorporated in the lid design that extend down and press the physical switch.

The only other thing I’m noticing is the 4 pin connectors are slightly bigger than what must be in the generated robogotchi model. What I have here measure 12mm wide and 5mm tall and they won’t fit through the openings of my print.

4 Likes

Thx for all the info.

I’m waiting to get mine so I can do a test for and see where to add poles to support the hardware in place and figure out what size buttons would fit afterwards
Have a few already designed and printed from my gt2b mod

I’m not sure about that, are your connectors the same as final product? From your image, looks like 2 connectors of that size would have a hard time fitting.
As for placing the robo inside, I’m almost certain that I measured everything for the robo to be simply slid inside from the top, no connectors are supposed to protrude (in case someone wanted to make a cap or weatherproof em)

3 Likes

Could you show me the robo on top of the bottom half?
Like what stops it from sliding in?

2 Likes

My hardware arrived and I assembled this weekend. Here is what the final result looks like from the side. Hope this helps.

7 Likes

@skate420
Oh dang…didn’t know/notice the ports would exceed the PCB :disappointed_relieved:

This whole modeling from virtual things is tough :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s not your fault, @Andrew set you up for failure :joy:

Nvm. It actually says 47.25 included with the ports

4 Likes

@Jujo It’s most probably me. But to my defense, it was the first truly 3-dimensional object I created in fusion. Before that, I was making custom kitchens and offices in sketchup. You don’t have random bowls and plates protruding from the cabinet doors :rofl:

1 Like

Remodeled all 4 possible parts. Added better dimensions (I think), removed a wall, adjusted a filet. I still have to include the buttons and make a sort of little bump for the robo to sit on and be stable inside the case but that’ll come when I get this part right…

One day I’ll get it…
…one day

3 Likes

Are you using the actual step model that was uploaded?

I’ll be uploading our own Robogotchi enclosure this week if you’re curious how I’ve drawn it.

6 Likes

I am now…:rofl:
After a few hours of learning the ropes, my brain started to overlook certain measurements. I had hidden the jst connectors and had only accounted for the PCB dimensions. When Renee said they couldn’t fit, I had a look again and noticed that (and a few other things a wee bit off). Needed a project for my mind and this was perfect to test my learning skills :grin:

I know it’s most likely gonna be worlds superior. Our skill levels are not the same :rofl:. But hey, like I said, needed something that allowed me to learn.
This case helped me understand how to make all of these

8 Likes