FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

image image

12 Likes

8 Likes

Screenshot_20201031-011309_Chrome

:face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

That was a rev 0.9? prototype. We ditched the USB-C and the Fanstel module.

These are rev1.2 Robogotchi:

10 Likes

I almost shed tears of joy. Thanks again @Andrew and @skate420 and the rest of the DRI team!

10 Likes

Excellent. This means we are one step closer to dongs.

7 Likes

We’re excited too!

Working on getting our documentation caught up a bit; the Robogotchi Hardware Repo & Wiki is up and we’ve published a partial release of the project.

Schematics:

7 Likes

Wait til you see my dong! Ha been saying that a lot lately due to opening Big Cock Pants Emporium. Big cock problems? Nope! Not anymore! Get on down to big cock pants emporium today!

1 Like

This is going to sound like a stupid question but I just downloaded the Freesk8 App and will be receiving the GPS module and the Robogotchi today (I think). The GPS module is required to constantly monitor your board while riding, but if I just want to just log my rides over a long period, I only need the Robogotchi and check those logs through the Freesk8 app right?

And they’re both accessed through the app

1 Like

I think the GPS module, as its name implies, is a GPS module :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: consider it like an add-on to the robo. Robogotchi will give you logs while the GPS adds satellite data to those logs.

3 Likes

Looking forward to my Robogotchi! Soooo tell us what chip running it’s own code not on github allows you to take control of any esk8 from Portland?

3 Likes

Andrew was telling me this yesterday. Firmware is keyed to prevent this

2 Likes

Total buzzkill, I was hoping for some kind of fun omnipresence

4 Likes
6 Likes

This is spot on.

To expand: The Robogotchi logs all data coming from the ESC over UART and stores it in it’s local flash storage, it does this as soon as it senses the board is moving and doesn’t require any start/stop interaction with the app, it’s all automatic.

Since we only connect to bluetooth to sync logs afterwards (as opposed to logging solutions that require constant bluetooth tether), we don’t have have the phone’s GPS data to contribute to the logs. So to address that, we added a 2nd UART port on the Robogotchi that communicates directly with the GPS module.

You can run the Robogotchi without a GPS module, but it will only record your ESC telemetry data, faults, etc. The GPS module adds geographic ride data.

7 Likes

The code is on github, just hasn’t been pushed public yet. We’re cleaning it up a bit & working on some documentation.

Hardware Repo is WIP:

Wiki here:

(I’ll get the QuickStart guide published today)
2 Likes

niiice, the STLs are there too. Must fix my printer soon

2 Likes

Ahhhh. So I need to buy a few more pairs then for the rest of my boards

3 Likes

“The first one is free” strategy I learned in high school is paying off I see.

5 Likes

It doesn’t apply to you because everything you guys release will be worth getting multiple of :heart_eyes:

4 Likes