Fume Extraction - How Do You GTFO?

Get
The
Fumes
Out

Soldering can be a stinky and unhealthy business. Please share your methods of smoke/fume extraction, from the dodgiest to the most elaborate, I wanna see em all :ok_hand:

9 Likes

Obviously overkill but since I have it, why not use it.

Plymovent welding fume extractor.

6 Likes

I’m actually making a new fume extractor. My last one got knocked off my work bench and cracked!

I found a decent one to 3D print and use a standard computer fan to work it. For a filter I used the “wet” filter for my shop vac. Worked pretty well but I’m sure there’s something better out there.

5 Likes

links to 3dp one?

3 Likes

I’ll post it when I get home!

3 Likes

Made with scraps I had on hand minus the shitty $5 fan.

It’s so dirty from being in the garage after my most recent project but it does the job.

5 Likes

This looks fucking big sketch and I love it :heart:

5 Likes

I built something like that with a big box fan.

Now I strapped a house ac filter on the fan and run it when I’m cutting wood. Even though I have a big dust extractor, there is some work I’m going to do soon that I want even more protection.

I got the plans to make a cedar strip canoe or a cedar based paddle board. Cedar dust is nooooo good on the lungs!

2 Likes

This is what I use. Kinda overkill and the spread isnt great, but it works.

Edit: wrong pic. This:

Its a central vacuuming unit. The hose plugs into a port in the wall, and it exhausts outside of the house, so no filter needed. It seriously sucks :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted a house with a central vac. Jealous.

3 Likes

Kids are on me to buy that skeleton.

3 Likes

Its the best thing that has ever happened to me r.e. cleaning. Its an order of magnitude more powerful than any standard vacuum unit, and since the actual vacuum is in another room in the basement, its way quieter. Well… not with the brush head on. That thing screams like a banshee. But with it off, just using the hose as a fume extractor? :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

$299 is a steal, think of all the use you will get out of this bad boy!

4 Likes

My uncle has one, its super weird and totally not worth the money haha

But his one actually works surprisingly well

Did anyone try this out?

With the pipe to push it outside?

4 Likes

I use that thing, its not bad, but deffinetly need to be close to what you soldering, and a pipe to push outside would be helpful for sure

2 Likes

IJ just have a big utility fan like this blowing toward me in the garage
keeps the misquitos away too. Sometimes a wisp still floats right under my nostrils tho =/

3 Likes

I never posted the one I used…here it is!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about grabbing a hoseless microwave with a hood vent. Could make popcorn while I solder

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-1-1-cu-ft-Over-the-Range-Low-Profile-Microwave-Hood-Combination-in-Stainless-Steel-WML55011HS/304770655

Please talk me out of it :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Just buy it.

We aren’t good influences here.

5 Likes

I wonder if you can make a hose that attaches to a bathroom fan, pipe the airflow over to where you solder.

I have this idea because my bedroom has a ventilation fan so it would actually be fairly simple for me.

3 Likes