MR69 All-In-One Motor Connector

Im not understanding what youre saying here?

2 Likes

If you use the male side on the vesc with the pins. if a coin or bit of mettle got in there poof go’s the vesc
If a pin got bent and shorted poof go’s the vesc

The risk is lower if you used the female side on the vesc

2 Likes

While i agree that using the male side increases the risk, i dont think the risk is very high. The connectors will live 99% of their life connected together.

4 Likes

Why is your esc powered if the motors aren’t connected? I’m assuming you’ve already put it inside a enclosure and therefore there isn’t really a reason you’d power it unconnected. (Not a jab, actual question)

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. This is why I dont think its a huge risk to put the male side in the enclosure. @SeanHacker has the male MR60’s in his sexy panel mount on LoveDick. Maybe he can chime in with how often he sticks a fork in that particular outlet.

6 Likes

Unless someone is being totally negligent and flat out stupid. Not happening…

5 Likes

Done it when iv blowed a motor 1st to get home 2nd ran it single drive for a bit until a pair of new motors arrived. Same reason I run a fuse on my charge port. If there is a way to reduce the risk with minimal impact why not take the opertunity?

@Benjamin You seem to have no interest in looking at other products and improving on there design. Or looking in to issues that have arisen and the solutions industry’s have come up with. For me that’s the beating heart of OS learning from others failure and success to make things better progress faster. For that reason I leave you to build your project with your poking fork.

2 Likes

hah.
i think What Ben’s doing is great, he is walking in uncharted territory, trying, experimenting and testing new things. He doesn’t have a a factory full of 40 000£ injector printers, just a lousy prusa and a few bullets, it starts with a concept to finish in full glory :grin:
Prime example here is the puck puck bruce and the many iterations. Once Ben thinks he has nailed it he will do some proper field tests, which obviously @Andrew will be the test dummy, and then we will have the first production MR69 for sale.
:partying_face:

6 Likes

Same idea as a loopkey… When people are scared of shorts, what are they told?

“Put a cap on it”

3 Likes

Rimshot?

2 Likes

Too funny!

2 Likes

Not really sure where you got that idea from, bud. You brought up something you see as a big risk. I dont see it as that big of a risk. Its a danger that can easily be mitigated by proper use and safety precautions around live connections.

Not to say that I wont eventually get around to making a design like what you described, as I agree that it decreases the potential risk. I only have so many hours in the day.

Seems as though you are getting a little heated about this, however, so please feel free to make your own version if you are unhappy with the pace I work at :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

And thats the problem here…not everyone takes proper care with these things…i say let em burn and let em learn.

6 Likes

How else did we learn not to short a car battery? Flash of light and a little tingle is how I learned that lesson. Gold ring on the finger and a wrench in hand is how I realized that I didn’t learn the lesson well enough.

8 Likes

How does one learn not to weld :thinking::joy:

2 Likes

To be clear @Darkie02, i think that it is valuable feedback, and I appreciate it. I will keep it in mind when making future versions. I just think we disagree on how critical that feature is to the function of this connector.

5 Likes

+1 to you on this too. I think the way you’ve been working it seems to be pretty easy to use and virtually risk free (if common sense is used)

4 Likes

Alright folks, new revision has been designed,

Printed,

And tested,

So far so good! More revisions and different printing strategies are up next.

9 Likes

Finally landed on a model I like enough to fully populate one, and it actually works!

Had a couple whoopsies with the soldering iron, as well as tearing a big chunk out of the plastic trying to pull them apart (9 pins is a LOT of friction haha) but im very happy with this initial test.

I swapped to a 0.25mm nozzle on my Prusa, and because of the big resolution increase I was able to trim down the geometry of the connector by a lot. Im much more happy with this size than the previous version.

Next up, different material tests and refining my assembly method. This was way too sloppy and time consuming.

14 Likes

Yeah boiiiii :heart_eyes:

tenor (14)

4 Likes