Neo Deck Build (Name ideas wanted)

Hey guys, this build thread is way overdue but here it is!

Back when Jeff Wu was thought to be the greatest thing to happen to eskate and was running the first group buy for his Neo deck I bought one! The one I received had a few scratches but nothing major compared to those who received cracked decks and never got a replacement.

The overarching goal of this build was for it to be flight safe and disassemble and be reassembled with the least amount of tools possible.

Parts:

Deck: Neo deck

Trucks: Caliber 50°

Motors: loaded/unlimited hub motors

ESC: Esk8 supply dual vesc (based on vesc…) 6

Remote: The Remote included with the Esk8 supply
Esc

Battery: Custom 30q 10s3p modular pack

BMS: Daly charge only

Now on to the build!

General Assembly:

Because I wanted to be able to disassemble everything super easily I lined the bottom the decks cavity with velcro (if we’re gonna be correct and all with vesc trademarks I’ll do it with velcro to. It’s really hook and loop😂) Holes were then drilled for the charge port and power switch and the deck was ready for components to be mounted!

Drivetrain:

Drivetrain assembly was as simple as installing a normal skate wheel! Just slide the motor onto the truck and tighten the bolt! The loaded hubs are really nice and having orangatang thane is a massive plus!

Battery:

The biggest challenge of this build was definitely the battery. I wanted it to be flight safe and super easy to assemble/disassemble. I ended up learning the very basics of Kicad and designed some pcbs. For my first pcb design I am very happy with how they turned out!

Each 2s3p module has a jst connector for the balance wires and bullet connectors for the series connections on the end. The inner series connection is done by the pcb.

Final Product:

Internals:

11 Likes

False promises

Edit - or Icarus
(Maybe hard to get past the fact loaded have a deck called that tho)

Made wings of wax
Flew too close to the sun
Wax melted
Crashed and burned

Quite the fitting metaphor

4 Likes

That’s one clean and tasty travel board!

6 Likes

This thread just reminds me of how bad i want those loaded hubs :expressionless:

5 Likes

BamBoosted?
like a bamboo boosted killer? idk :rofl:

4 Likes

Bamboozled!

Cus JeffWu bamboozled us all with his “hello friend” act :laughing:

9 Likes

Bambogan

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Between here and .news there have been some great name suggestions! Gonna have to pick one soon!

3 Likes

Very nice!

5 Likes

I really want one of those decks now… Maybe I will have to wait for the Jedboard bankruptcy auction.
Nice Build how do the hubs handle?

5 Likes

For hubs they handle really nice! Smooth acceleration and breaking plus they are dead silent. I just wish they had sensors.

3 Likes

have you tried hfi on them? i had one on a single board for a short amount of time, they do start up quite nice without sensors but isn’t ideal. i agree, they are so silent tho!!

2 Likes

how badly? I may have a second hand one that I can salvage from

1 Like

Tempting But I need another esk8 project like I need another buthole. Plus my wife will murderise me and bury me in her butterfly Garden (yes thats a thing).

5 Likes

No, I have not but I was recently told over at .news by someone who has tried that hfi doesn’t wanna work with these motors.

2 Likes