Puck, Puck, Bruce!

I find it very comfortable! Fits right in my hand and along the contours inside the palm.

Dog approved too!

My wife held it and said it felt a bit wide for her hands but she has smaller hands than I do. Took a pic of her holding it too.

5 Likes

So this is now 3 different lady hands that have held it and have given feedback that the REV2 feels a bit too large. Makes me think that perhaps I should finalize the REV1 design as the Small version and then finish up the REV2 as the Larger version. Here are the two for comparison:

4 Likes

Yep. My lady said it feels too thick. Hard for her to wrap her fingers around.

6 Likes

In case optional design idea are welcome here as well. I‘m in love with that pop socket addition to my puck. It’s so solid and secure fixed and nicely to control. Even wearing a wrist protect it’s still fit. This was always an issue with any other remote. The only thing I don’t like is that the pop socket is glued to the remote case and as the case is slightly bend it will come off at one point. If that kind of fixation would be integrated in the shell or the shell would offer some kind of clip for those kind of sockets, that would be perfect.

16 Likes

@Andy87 I saw this in the pictures thread and intended on following up with you on it. Brilliant idea.

I think having a bottom shell with a Popsocket shaped indentation for mounting definitely needs to happen, we’ll make it so.

8 Likes

Sorry I don’t really bring anything to this forum but this is hilarious :rofl: @glyphiks this will be one of many do we have a derailed thread @BillGordon
I can’t help myself to much sugar in my coffee :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Yes yes yeahs :grin:

5 Likes

Testmodels: Puck vs Bruce

I prefer the Bruce over the puck, the position feels a little more natural. I still prefer trigger remote though since it feels the most natural and less strain on my hand, but thats probably since I am used to that style of remote.

After fiddling a bit I feel this position is most comfortable :arrow_down:. Only feedback I have is that some curves could be flattened a bit and maybe a shallow cutout for the pinky, not sure there is enough space for that though. I also think the REV1 would fit my hand a little better since its a tad smaller.

Thanks for letting us test the model, looking forward to see more :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Do you mean that the red curve should cut in more or less?

I’ve been pondering this as well, I think you and I grip the Bruce the same way. It’s a little tricky because the charging port is on the bottom and needs some clearance for the port feature.

I think I’ll tweak with the scaling on the model for the next revision. I think maybe a 5-10% reduction might land it in the sweet spot.

6 Likes

I mean the remote can follow the red curve so the transition will be smoother.

Looking forward to try the smaller model in the future :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

Rather than change the entire curvature and lose space there (battery protrudes a bit into that spot), I was planning on adding an indentation for the middle finger, like so:

I could do the same for the other fingers potentially (marked red)

6 Likes

I’ll get a new test primitive model uploaded here shortly, but it looks like we’ve got a good scaling at 90% of the REV2. Given the placement of the internals this scale actually seems to work out really well, so we might be able to nail a happy medium here and get away with one size.

5 Likes

Sorry I’ll upload pics later.

At grocery store. It’s much more comfortable than the puck.

Ungloved: works in both positions. Middle finger resting at top and the split peace sign position too

Gloved (both fingered and fingerless): middle finger resting at top works best.

I found that no matter what, my pink is always in an awkward grip position but I’m alright with it since it’s still significantly better than the normal puck

First few layers on the print was bad. I walked out for a few seconds and half my cats ass was on the print bed

4 Likes

Yeah this is a problem I have on the puck itself too, I end up tucking my pinky finger underneath the flat/charge surface of it. I might try to place an indent there so there’s at least some ledge to rest on.

Next test primitive incoming shortly, minor size reduction + added middle finger divot as well as the cutaway for the throttle wheel.

^ Same deal here, flip 180 & print at 15% infill as this is just for testing grip/fit.

8 Likes

I do have a question though and it’s regarding the most annoying thing about the original puck.

Where are you planning to place the wrist strap?

5 Likes

I know exactly what you’re talking about, and fully agreed. I intended on moving it over to the bottom/side so it’s out of the way.

Purple is about where the charge port will be, green is where I planned on trying out the wrist strap anchor.

6 Likes

Where can I make donations? Patreon is set up and everything? I support everything you do holy shit

7 Likes
6 Likes

This is REV1 in my hand. Way too small for me.

Plus the thumbwheel is way too far back

GF says its just about perfect, but it looks like the wheel would be too far back for her thumb too.

Im throwing REV3 on to print now.

R.E. the wrist strap, i actually love where it’s at on the puck. Its actually part of how I grip it.

I tuck it between my middle and ring finger, and it helps me anchor the puck in my hand. @Andrew i encourage you to consider the lanyard placement to be a feature that will give your ring/pinky fingers a place to rest/include it in your grip.

7 Likes

I think this is pretty solid input man, appreciated! I’ll see what I can do. I’ve got about 90 minutes left on this REV3 test print so I’m gonna go skate.

@Benjamin are you testing the grip with a gloved hand as well? I use Flatland3d gloves which have the palm guards, so even the REV1 is designed with that in mind. With a padded glove on the remote ends up getting pushed forward more than what is shown in these pictures.

With all that said- I agree, rev1 was too small for me too but a lot of it was me figuring out interior features to mount the Puck internals.

4 Likes