Quick and dirty skin and frit for impatient imperfectionists

Yes, the blending is more difficult. Also, bamboo takes stain differently than wood. It just takes a little practice. I use a foam brush to apply it. I also do it in 2 coats. The second coat evens out any blotches. I use the semi-transparent.

5 Likes

Good stuff, thanks dude!

4 Likes

Thanks guys for the answers.

Oh I see. So, in the case I have this beautiful deck with a beautiful artwork already painted on, is there a way to make this method work?

5 Likes

Thats fucking gorgeous :heart_eyes:!
Did you sand prior to artwork? If itā€™s not keyed, Iā€™m unsure if good adhesion would happen. Looks shinyā€¦

4 Likes

Ahh i see. That entirely depends on what the artwork is sealed with. Whatever you use will have to bond nicely to the finish you already have there.

You donā€™t have to use epoxy resin, a lot of people use polyurethane but the process for that is a little different.

3 Likes

It is :slightly_smiling_face:

It just came with the deck. To preserve it, I used the Lucid clear grip spray. First time I used it, if it works itā€™s a great alternative for this use case. I hear this is also whatā€™s on the Evolve Bamboos.

2 Likes

beautiful deck. Maybe play it safe and just leave the sanding out. I bet youā€™ll still get a good enough bond.

3 Likes

Do you guys make your artwork in a digital program or is not uncommon to also use photos?

Was thinking it would also be cool to put a fabric on the enclosure. Did you try this already? Would probably work with the same method I guess.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no reason you couldnā€™t do it on an enclosure. It would be difficult on hard curves and corners, but some creative snipping should get you through it

I was using photoshop, until Adobe popups and cloud based shit took over my computer. Now iā€™m using Gimp.

3 Likes

Yeah, just on the flat part would be cool already.

Gimp is a bit complicated but very powerful. Find Krita also great.

3 Likes

Do you guys know any vendors in the EU for this?

1 Like

@EreTroN , where do you get your fabric? Also, out of interest, would you be willing to skin other peopleā€™s decks for money? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

His board looks soooo guuud!

1 Like

Wanted to come back and thank you for your input.
I used the water based that you linked and turned out well enough that Iā€™ll go forward and refine my process in the future with it.
It was challenging not to get any on the top/bottom so I went pretty thin and needed 4 coats to get where I liked it.

Thank you!

7 Likes

Guys, I want to prep a deck which is painted on top of a fiber glass layer.
Would it work to sand the paint out until I get to whatever it is beneath (gel coat, epoxy?)

3 Likes

You can sand the paint off or use stripper, or a combination of both. Iā€™d do the combo. Strip, sand, strip

3 Likes

Cool, thanks!

2 Likes

I have a few of these problemsā€¦

1 Like

6 Likes

Will these wrinkles disappear when pressed and rolled against the epoxied deck or better try something to eliminate them?..

Have also some questions about the process :slight_smile:

Would it make sense to use coating epoxy for the subsequent applications after applying laminating epoxy under and over the fabric?

Iā€™m having a hard time imagining how to avoid the resin to slip from the edges to the deepest part of the concave (also from the kicktail in this case). How is this possible to achieve?

1 Like