RAWshop - Ross’ Alliteration Workshop

Test press :tada:
Need to make some mods to the press to increase the open gap above the concrete mould.
Easy to load veneers. Difficult to remove after glue has cured. Plan is to remove the 9mm mdf layer above the top mould and rebate pockets into the top of it for the magnets which hold it in place. Hopefully that’s enough.

3 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

Ah man i need to spend more time here. I’m sorry. I’ll do better.

Mould end chopped. Wee bit dusty :joy:

After pressing, decks can now be removed without scratching on the high end of the concrete mould :ok_hand:
And a couple of nails driven into timber mould half to make little dents on the pressed blanks so I can mark centrelines and keep it all lined up straight :pray:

5 Likes

That’s one thing that really annoys me about the semendeed mold. There’s no centre reference.

I made a thin fibreglass “deck” that I use to lock onto the pressed blanks and trace, and that has a centre reference, but i should have included it in the mold.

Gotta love a bit of silica dust :rofl: hope you wore a mask!

2 Likes

Yeah bro mask on for sure!
a little panel pin in the mould to make a small dent on the surface veneer is pretty simple to add, and should work ok. Idea taken from Manak skates YouTube videos. I have positioned them on areas past the ends of the deck so won’t be visible after cutting. Marking line across kicks and drops can be a bit hard but I’ve used a laser level as a guide for drawing centreline along a curved mould. Bendable Soft plastic ruler like the roarockit one could be the go RockitRulerFlex - Roarockit USA

1 Like

Oh that’s fucking genius! I have a line laser that i barely ever use :rofl: never even thought about that despite struggling HARD with centre lines :rofl:

2 Likes

Test cuts on the router table tonight!
Went ok, some things to suss out at the high points on end of the deck but the rest finished pretty well.

2 Likes

Tidy up in the workshop this weekend.
Too much shit in my garage :man_facepalming: tomorrow I’m chucking out some kids toys :blush:

Made a trolley for the small bandsaw and bought a shop vac, to help counter my new dust making abilities. Ordered a small dust cyclone thing which I’ll rig up to the vac when it arrives, hopefully should help catch the bulk of mdf dust.

Even shared the workbench for a bit this evening.

SupaKarts tomorrow! :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

Chucking stuff out is the best! Purge that shit!

1 Like

Another great time at Supakarts track last night. Trimmed some lap times.

Had a spin on some Exway Venator tires on Matrix3 trucks on a mates board which felt grippy and fast :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

giphy (6)

1 Like

#1 with a margin. Noice!

Glued up a deck tonight!
9 ply maple, titebond 3
:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Sunny day. Ride to the beach!
Swapped back truck for the other savage1 tkp
New grip tape. So good :blush:

5 Likes

Test cut no.2 on an mdf blank :+1:

5 Likes

Bro, This press and mold is so cool! I found a new hero.

3 Likes

Couple of small fuck ups but generally worked out pretty well. Nice amount of flex at 9ply.

Will try finish the nicks in the edges and tidy it up a bit. Should I make a new segmented undermount enclosure? Hmm

IMG_4713

IMG_4715
IMG_4716

3 Likes