Switching 60+ Volts

So I am balls deep into my tb40 build my 16s battery is built and tested the stormcore has its own antispark switch. I am adding a big buck converter to drive the apa102 strips + esp32, and front spots and break lights. This is the first build in awhile with no loop key. I need a way to switch the buck on and off. A normal switch or relay will weld it’s contacts. I have tried solid state relay but it generates a lot of heat. I have played around with current limiting resistors. I looked around for an in expensive antispark switch just to run the lights, horn and antitheft. But none will switch the needed 67.2 Volts. Max current will be just a few amps running the APA’s at 50% (apa102 is like ws2812b but they don’t flicker during animation due to much higher refresh rate). And ideas my only thought is to go back to the SSR and deal with the heat or put in a loopkey.

1 Like

I have a car nitro style switch on my trampa to turn on and off my buck for the addressable LEDs. Draws 5.1amps continuous if I’m on full white. Never noticed heat.
(Old pics)

1 Like

Did you use a current limit resistor on the switch?

1 Like

I did not. Bought locally but iirc it was rated for 12v20a.
My use case is 5v 5.1a so I didn’t feel the need to add anything to it

1 Like

Nah most switches are fine at 2A just need a switch that can take the voltage

I am modifying this precharge circuit to switch up to 100v DC 5amps. Overkill maybe I have already destroyed 2 neopixels strips and ubec from precharge using just a switch. https://www.hackster.io/CharlieO/solid-state-precharge-26b86e