Tutorial Requests

honestly charging an esk8 is the most fear I have about esk8… if you can write a k00k-proof tutorial…

I’d contribute to your fansonly.com webpage!!!

10 Likes

Fuck yeah my dood! I may forgo my previous recommendation and wait for your tutorial :heart_eyes:

Actually on second thoughts, based on the voltage of those dell power supplies I assume you’re simply wiring them all in series, isn’t that risky as fuck?

5 Likes

4 Likes

It is and it isn’t. If you do it the right way it’s totally safe.

5 Likes

Lies! It gives you the confidence to know that what you’re doing isn’t horribly horribly wrong…

6 Likes

Tutorial Request

Fume Extraction Techniques

6 Likes

Does blowing on it while you are soldering counts?

6 Likes

Lol. Yes.

6 Likes

I was hoping I wasn’t the only one doing that :joy:

6 Likes

inhale… solder while exhaling. … inhale… think about that cool fume extraction system you’re gonna have one day… solder while exhaling…

8 Likes

I made a rectanglular prism out of wood with a box fan and home furnace filter as the top, duck taped plastic sheeting to the other 3 walls, and turn it on while soldering.

Unfortunately I was doing a shit ton of spray painting a while back and it got moved to my garage where it still resides. I should really be using that or make a small version with all the extra 3d printer fans I have.

8 Likes

Fine extractor fan. Not sure we need a tutorial but here’s my setup. The filter kills most.od the visible fumes …

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Q99PPV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

6 Likes

Yes perhaps you are right that it’s not so much a tutorial thread, but could be a good content thread. Different extraction options.

6 Likes

Ok yall, so Im working on a battery building tutorial, and I’m kind of struggling here. Im running into info-creep, and I dont know where to draw the line on the scope of the tutorial. I dont want to start at “What is electricity” and work up from there, because a.) that would take a million years to type, b.) because other people have done a better explanation of that info, and c.) I dont think that someone who needs to be learning about volts and amps should be jumping into battery building.

Oh jesus the info-creep has spread into this reply. I’m typing too much and I dont know how to dial it back. Someone help me.

Basically what im getting at is that I want to make this a tutorial for high level builders who already know the basics of DIY, but I dont know where to draw the line on what info is inside the scope, and what is outside the scope.

What is my scope???

7 Likes

@Benjamin
Are you making the tutorial about the reasons behind your choices?
If so, I’d say start with a choice of cell and why you chose it. From there you could work your way up to a finished product using it as an example along the way while explaining why one thing is better or worse based on your personal experience with building. From there, people will inherently comment and probably ask details on certain parts if you forgot to mention something…fuck, you infected me with your info-creep

4 Likes

Definitely skip that, what is a p,s-group part.
What I would include:
Equipment basics
Material basics and importance of checking every batch nickel if it’s pure nickel.
Why which cell
Pack layout, cell glueing and isolation
How to do a proper serial connection
Basic bms wiring diagram
Pictures

Maybe even some recommendations how to fix packs into an enclosure to minimize vibration.

7 Likes

:heart_eyes: This…so much this

4 Likes

I think the most common error/possible improvement point that I see in packs is people placing their series connections incorrectly. All too often i see flat packs like this

There are several reasons I don’t like this battery, but the most important is that he essentially has series current of 5 cells running through one bit of nickel strip.

I think that an integral part of the battery design is what bits carry parallel current, what bits carry series current, and what bits carry both.

15 Likes

From someone who thinks “I can build a battery if I had a spot welder” but then thinks, “where would I even start?” I’d like to see:

1. how to know which size/width of nickel you’ll need
  2. pics of where the most amounts of current are flowing through
  3. mindset when planning layouts of cells (which orientations are most logical for your application)
  4. all the safety measures and where shorts are easy to accidentally happen
  5. how to wire up the bms
  6. good vs bad spot welds
  7. optional: photos of good and bad looking packs with what you do and don’t like about them like above
12 Likes

Thanks y’all. Ill try to incorporate these suggestions without getting too lost in the weeds of basic DIY principals.

Here’s an example of something I’ve been struggling with:

When discussing planning your pack, how in depth should I go about how much current you design your pack to deliver? A basic level would be “find out what your cell is rated for times the number of cells in parallel.” While a full in the weeds discussion would go into real life current usage, gearing, hardware limits, the voltage/duty cycle/amp relationship in a VESC, etc.

All that info is important, but i dont know if its within the scope of how to build a battery.

6 Likes