Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Hmmmm… maybe there is something to be said for this ugly enclosure…

12 Likes

I made a 1kg gasket.

That is all.

10 Likes

Been a minute. Currently working on getting these fuckers out of my life.

The baby kaly is basically finished. It just needs to be assembled and skinned. Print has been ordered, so i’m waiting on that.

The massive kaly still needs the balance harness and main power wires done, and also the enclosure needs to be refitted with the 1kg gasket. The gasket worked, it is rough tho and it came out of the mold sticky. I left it in open air for over a week thinking it might just need to cure more. Its still sticky. Acetone doesn’t work, so i got some methylated spirits today to see if that works. Should prob get some isopropyl too.

The haero will be a full 4wd build so that’s gonna take some time.

This 12s8p in trampa enclosure was a bit of a prick. I initially built it in a stagger stack only to realise it didnt fit and needed to be straight stack :rofl: i lucked out and swapped it to another local builder for bare cells and beer. Win.

The guy wants a particular layout for his e-tray, so i thought i’d make it a bit easier for him and knocked up this little bms/xenity holder. Very happy with how well it worked out.

9 Likes

Slick shit! Nice work, really cleans up the enclosure.
I envy your tinkerdick skills

3 Likes

I have been on a tinkerdick rampage the past week…

The print didnt come out as well as i’d hoped, but it’ll get the job done. We’re building a board to send to the Evolve Open in Queensland next month, so the enclosure only needs to last for one race and not be a peli case :sweat_smile: i know some of you guys love your pelicases, but i can’t stand the fuckin things.

Still tweaking the esc case, but it will house 2 x trampa vescs, with all the wiring exiting from the bottom of the enclosure. Hopefully i can get the printer a little better tuned with the help of the homies on the 3d printing telegram chat :pray::pray::pray:

11 Likes

For real though. Ugly as fucking shit. The harbor freight Apache cases come in color now. So now you can’t miss the ugly Bastards.

4 Likes

Soooo I finally did some more work on the big Kaly. Took me like 5hrs to make this kabelsalat that allows the whole battery/bms/charge port to be modular with the battery in sets of 3s8p. Gotta love a challenge right?

I triple checked the balance plugs before plugging in and whaddya know, i got it right. Was a massive relief. I wasn’t so vigilant with the customer supplied charger though…

This charger is no good for a 220v socket :sweat_smile: many smokes, much pants shitting. This project is on the shelf until i get a new charger… Onwards!

Added the main power wires to the 4wd haero battery and got bms wires into their starting positions. Keen to get stuck into the rest of this build.

12 Likes

What is the isolation material you are using?

4 Likes

That’s called FR4, its basically just fibreglass. I salvaged it from the original pack for that battery, but i have also made my own sheets before just for fun.

8 Likes

I’ve also used failed enclosures for this. Cut into whatever shape you need. Works really well.

4 Likes

Little update:

Nothing has happened with the 4wd Haero

LaCroix came through with the goods and replaced that 18s charger for me at zero cost to me - fucking legends.

And I almost finished the baby kaly. Just need to get a few bolts and rubber washers and take the enclosure off again to get the goddamn motherfucking pairing code of the robogotchi.

I’m really fucking happy with how this one has come up. Can’t wait to test ride it.

14 Likes

Tee and also, hee.

5 Likes

If only there were some kind of auditory beeping code that could be triggered :thinking:
:rofl:

6 Likes

Careful. The robot could be near - .-. … --. --. . .-. . -…

6 Likes

Good lookin’ shit.

6 Likes

Oh my. It would seem I have been neglecting the workshop thread. I been busy doing stuff. Can’t be fucked explaining myself, so here’s a pic dump.

9 Likes

I see you got upgraded to fucktard status… very nice.

4 Likes

The gods smile upon me

6 Likes

You make me giggle friend…

2 Likes

So… i quit my job.

So that means i’m gonna need to build a lot more batteries to keep the beer on the table.

Age old saying goes that you gotta spend money to make money… so i did :sweat_smile:

The trusty lipos that were running the OG kWeld were starting to get a little tired and puffy, and the last thing i need in this workshop is a lipo fire.

So I splurged and spent an unreasonable amount of money on this big ass car battery and a new kWeld.

When I weld I constantly need to stop and let the welder cool down, so now in the down time for one welder I can power on with the other one :muscle: also good to have a backup, as this little thing is gonna be my primary source of income from now on.

While I was setting up the new kWeld, i discovered a neat little trick in the operation manual…

If you start the kWeld with the footswitch pressed or the footswitch wires shorted, it starts in auto mode! So i made tiny loop keys :rofl:

Oh and i finished these two beauties.

14 Likes