Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Dang you got your form right first try? You must have a gift for this. Those decks look professional AF.

6 Likes

This is absolutely awesome bro! Following closely!! (Be honest, did you get pointers from tech shit?)

5 Likes

Dunno where i would be without him :rofl:

4 Likes

Touched up the mold to flatten some high spots and lumps. The sharp transitions showed some cracking in the mdf surface layers, so I used the sander to dull these curves just a little.

Its gonna be a few weeks before I can get any sort of real veneers, so I’m pressing an MDF deck :rofl:

The relief i provided on the sharp transitions seems to have worked, as can be seen with the slight gaps in the close up photo.

It will actually be good to have this MDF deck, as I can use it as a sacrificial template in order to get the final shape right, and also as a buck to build an enclosure mold on.

6 Likes

The mdf deck was somewhat successful, still got cracking on the transitions.

MDF is really not a good indicator of what the veneers will do though, so i’m just going to wing it.

The ribs from the mold pressed through a little bit too. I think i’ll definitely fill the mold with expanda foam and maybe even use a little less pressure on the first real press.

But i’m pretty pleased with the result. I would have liked to have included some detail in the shape by narrowing the waist a little, but due to the nature of the tapered concave, i need to keep that waist as wide as possible for strength in the middle of the deck.

As it is, the section where the concave is lowest before it kicks back up again, is showing to be a weak spot on the MDF deck. It flexes a good amount in this area, despite the heavy W.

This could be a good thing as it could provide a little relief for the nose and tail transitions, and it can definitely be tuned with the addition of carbon fibre.

It kind of pains me to say this… but my dream deck has kinda turned out like an overweight evo :rofl:

8 Likes

Still pottering away with this. Injected the mold with my love and got to work on an enclosure buck.

Wax on wax off all day today, layup tomorrow.

11 Likes

It wasn’t my greatest layup, but it seems to have done the job.

Looking like there will be space for 16s5p 21700 or 18s6p 18650 :flushed:

Trimmed, wetsanded and ready to wax up for the first actual enclosure :partying_face: just need to order some more materials.

10 Likes

This is killer man… :call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Been neglecting my workshop thread yet again

Designed this little harness system to make building out the Hellcats a little easier. Very happy with it, does exactly as it’s told. Everything is held in with pressure and foam so it’s super easy to install and I won’t have to fight with blobs of hot glue everywhere for any maintenance.

The veneers arrived! Pressed a new deck every day this week, each slightly different. Several of them will require a second run in the press, to add fibreglass to them, and a couple will run without fibreglass to see how they go.

I gave the very first one off the press to Vince, not entirely sure what he’s going to do with it, but I think he has a set of 3-links for it. The 3-links pictured above is the new HD track pack from Stooge, and will be getting built out for one of our loyal customers.

I pressed one deck with bamboo face layers, and i’m gonna set that one up as a pusher for myself, will likely even make it drop thru for science.

Still waiting on a fibreglass order so that I can properly finish these decks and start stress testing them!

7 Likes

My pusher is ready! No need to go drop thru, but I would like some slightly narrower trucks. The 200mm surfrodz would have been perfect, but for some reason my short shoulder bolts were too short, so i used BN stepped axles instead.

Looking forward to testing the shit out of it!

9 Likes

Omfg😍

2 Likes

Very much subscribed to see how this turns out. I might be in the market for a PU/SS-enclosure street barge.

3 Likes

Update time? Show us the new shop.

3 Likes

Jesus, this thread is more neglected than I was as a teen.

I’m not sure how to come back from this.

Let me ponder on it.

Let’s just say the Semendeed testing went well and many more baby Semendeeds have been made since then.

And fuck Full Send Electric :fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

I moved everything back home some time ago now and set up in the shed. It’s small, but I was spoiled in the factory. I’ve been making the little shed work pretty efficiently.

I cleaned out the old inside workshop and turned it into a lounge room, this was a winning move, the kid has been coming over a LOT more now that there is a dedicated chill space.

Oh, and I got sober. Going strong and no plans on going back.

I’m not even gonna try fill in the blanks of this thread, it’s too far gone. Lemme see if I can keep it updated tho.

5 Likes

We definitely need more updates here :relieved:

2 Likes

Few more layers on Frankendick! It’s already really strong, I have high hopes for it’s future!

Mtb mold fits in the press no dramas, will get some more glue tomorrow and press the deck! I’m kinda dubious about the registration pins, but we’ll see how they go.

Settled on a 16s pack for the mtb, 4p underneath and 2p up top. More cells coming next week.

Ordered an SKP Solo for esc, gonna be beefy

5 Likes

Such a great development. Artem is killing it.

2 Likes

Indeed he is. He’s just built up gradually and seemingly organically and it appears to be paying dividends.

1 Like

The good news is that the 3DP deck mold didn’t implode and the battery still fits in Frankendick after the glass layers on top/inside.

The bad news is that i’m going to hell for this crime. I am extremely dubious at this point.

Designed this 3dp piece to house the button and charge port as well as route the phase wires through.

I am really lacking confidence in this whole half baked plan but I’ve made a mess now and just gotta hope I can clean it up ok :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

It’s gonna be great to pull the deck out of the press tomorrow, but finishing off the frankendick mess is daunting already :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

As a proof of concept the 3dp deck mold went pretty damn awesomely. There are things I will do differently for the next one, but this was a 100% success so I can’t ask for much more than that!

The frankendick crimes actually worked out really well and went pretty much exactly to plan. My foam application could use a bit of a better technique, but it worked, so i’m winning.

Had an interesting fuckup tonight. I’d just sharpened the probes and one of them slipped just before it welded and blew a hole straight through the can :expressionless:

1 Like