Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Yeah description for 243 also says its fine.

Watchu smokin @Lee_Wright?

7 Likes

It is fine… I never said it wasn’t :grimacing:

Sorry it’s 50% not 25. This is compared to steel/steel

8 Likes

Maybe we should start to use other type of loctite? :thinking: did you check if they have one specifically for stainless steel maybe?

4 Likes

How curious. Thanks dude. I wonder why :thinking:

4 Likes

No I didnt, so it came about as I attached my battery and then went for a test before it had cured. As it had only been about 30 mins it wouldn’t have had much time to cure and as its stainless on stainless it got me wondering what the cure would be like hence me going on the hunt for cure times and strengths. Anyways I tightened it back down after and let it cure and its been fine ever since but it is something to think about. Maybe we should be using Zinc coated hardware?

4 Likes

Would likely be harder than stainless. I hate how easy stainless rounds out and snaps

4 Likes

Zinc coated Torx - I’m gonna see if it’s possible to reasonably use that hardware instead

4 Likes

I love Torx people only moan when thay don’t have the correct tool

Philips (Desiner to camp out when x force is exceeded e.g. mettle on mettle machine screws)
Pozi (Desiner for a solid tool lock easy mating when screwing in to soft material e.g. wood)
Torx (Desiner for a solid tool lock upgrade over hex)

3 Likes

Pozi drive screws can eat a dick. Worst screws ever.

4 Likes

Now now thay have there place. E.g. in impact drivers screwing wood in the building industry there prity good.

I’m a carpenter :rofl: pozi drives fucking suck. Square drive tho… :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Trying a different approach with this mold. Last night I applied gelcoat, let it tack and then applied fibreglass cloth.

Let it cure for 24hrs, then tonight I applied resin, let it tack and then applied woven roving.

Will repeat this process until the layup is complete, aim of the game is to end up with a bubble free mold… i’ve said this a million times, but I really need a vacuum setup :rofl:

9 Likes

Man if you only lived closer. I’d let you borrow mine, it’s getting no use at all

4 Likes

All in good time. It will happen soon enough :ok_hand:

Got my heart set on this sucka

6 Likes

I built this set up

It works pretty well, but i just haven’t used it in a while.

I’ll get it out and take a few pictures, i kinda captured part of that build process on builders a long time ago.

I like that it has subchambers so when the pump looses its vacuum, it pulls from the subchambers first while the pump has time to catch up so you never loos pressure in your bag.

6 Likes

blue loctite isn’t good enuff for heavy duty stuff
and red loctite will give you ass cancer :poop:
permatex orange is the best :ok_hand:

turned out a haiku :rofl:

5 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

My biggest battery. Complete. Was looking good until I tried my hand at waterproofing :rofl: double shrinked and siliconed the openings at the ends. No idea how water tight the bike enclosure is but the old battery had signs of water being in there so I went berserk with silicone.

Gonna be super tight in the enclosure, but it’s just within the measurements the dude gave me.

The ANT BMS app is pretty cool, and I’m really happy with how close the cells are in voltage.

Oh and I finished laying up the school bus mold, will pop it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed that its not a flop.

6 Likes

What’s your fabric layup on this, Al? How many layers, fabric, weights? It’s looking solid

1 Like

200gsm cloth
600gsm woven roving
600gsm woven roving
200gsm cloth

Enclosure will get the same but 800gsm roving cos i ran out of 600 :rofl:

Also… dropped off the battery… it fits!

First test ride was a success. That was a fun battery to build.

7 Likes