Fabric / CF skinning

Lol, how do you know? :laughing:

7 Likes

After reading this thread, I feel like im ready to try it out…32 oz of epoxy should be enough for a deck right?

4 Likes

Yuuup. Plenty.

3 Likes

For composites, usually about a 50/50 ratio of fabric weight to resin weight.

For skinning you’ll need a few coats, but 32oz is tons. You’ll have left overs for the next one :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Ross, have you ever tried “skinning” with cotton fabric?

2 Likes

I did try some tests with scrap bits of my wife’s sewing fabric (shhh…) A linen, a Lycra/cotton blend and something else.

None turned out that well. The smoothest (also thinnest and least absorbent) Lycra one was the best.

I think it might be ok, but thin shiny polyester type fabric seems to be better. The issues I had on the tests I did were that the thicker fabrics absorbed more epoxy and the fibres and grain sort of lifted as it cured so they would need extra topcoats to smooth them out.

3 Likes

I’ve seen references that said cotton, like tee-shirt material was a bit problematic…

so thanks!!!

2 Likes

No worries - yeah I wouldn’t use it now.

3 Likes

I’ve used cotton. It cured with a really distinct texture to it that was actually quite desirable as grip. But definitely not if you want a silky smooth finish

3 Likes

i don’t mind a lil texture…

more or less texture than a kaly deck?

2 Likes

Probably pretty similar amount but the kaly texture is uniform. The cotton texture is random in size and pattern.

Trawled for 10mins to find this photo :rofl:

4 Likes

would probably be nicer if the fabric had’ve been ironed first :rofl:

9 Likes

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak I don’t mind that at all… except for your slovenly creases… :rofl: :+1:t2: :thinking:

I’ll prolly “bachelor iron” my shit in the clothes dryer before making the attempt!

:+1:t2: :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Just that finish on it’s own would make perfect bare foot grip :ok_hand:

5 Likes

I tried to use cotton in an epoxy enclosure build it was super rigid but snapped easily I went back to using glass after that. For skinning it would be ok as long as there is little flex in the end product. Any fabric that saturates easily is going to be problematic.

4 Likes

HHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that’s a damned good thought!
the board I was planning on skinning is pretty flexy

i guess i’ll think on this a bit more

4 Likes

It’s a great thought.
I guess the absorption affects the fibre / resin ratio in the end.
How bendy is Al’s deck? :rofl: (the c3p0 one)

Edit. Resin is pretty bendy. For skinning a deck I don’t reckon flex would be an issue for cotton. (do it and find out)

On an enclosure where the geometry of the part provides some rigidity and flex is being resisted in a more complex manner, and also without another substrate, I can see why there might be issues.

4 Likes

That deck ended up being suuuuper flexy cos i hacked a lot of the bottom out of it with a router. I gave it two layers of UD CF and that helped a lot. Was still flexy tho.

Sold that a fair while ago now tho, haven’t heard any complaints from the buyer :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I love this build :star_struck: what GD did you use ?

7 Likes

Idea GD for evolve trucks

6 Likes