Fabric / CF skinning

Here’s that cotton texture again… wanna try and get rid of it this time tho, not gonna be fritting this one.

9 Likes

Somewhere in Victoria a middle aged woman is missing her pants. Seriously it looks rad…I am thinking cowprint for my next build (eflux).

7 Likes

:rofl: I’m definitely watching this build

6 Likes

PegBundy2

6 Likes

This thread reminds me of an old kiteboard I made, almost 20 yrs ago. The goal was to add a scratch resistant base to the thin layers of plywood it was made out of, as well as provide graphics of some sorts, on the cheap.
So, without asking permission to my gf at that time, I sacrificed a bit of the fabric that covered our couch and went down to business…

It added a fair amount of weight, as it was a thick fabric, soaked plenty of resin. I had used some glass microspheres in my epoxy mix for thickening and weight saving, and it left some of the white streaks visible on the pic.
Overall, it did the intended job, …

10 Likes

Hey guys. Im X posting here but wanted to ask what you think. I started sanding and noticed what i believe is a top layer of clear coat.
The plan was just to frit, not to skin. Just black deck, blue fine frit.
How should i proceed, sand down to the paint? with 120? and then go over th epaint with 200?

3 Likes

Hasn’t that just gone grey because it’s been sanded? If you wet it, does it show black?
What’s the deck?

3 Likes

its a flux diy kit.

yes it goes dark a bit. then when it dries it turns light again

2 Likes

Ok. Not sure on what the deck surface is like on that, but my experience is that with epoxy the topcoat will give the deck a finish like when it’s wet.

So you sand it, it goes dull because of surface roughness and then when you coat it in epoxy, the roughness disappears and the epoxy surface gives back the gloss.

Black will be grey when sanded
Blue will be a lighter colour blue
Etc

3 Likes

I expect when you clear coat it, it will finish like this but shinier depending on what product you ise

3 Likes

ok. im going to go over it with finer and finer grit paper until it looks smooth and those cross lines are nearly gone. then Im using spar.

1 Like

The finer grits will make the surface smoother and the finer you sand it to, the darker it will appear (before the clear coat).

The level of grit you Sand to before the clear coat probably won’t affect finish that much. What grit is that you have used?

If you sand too smooth, you will reduce the key that the coating has on the surface which kinda defeats the purpose a bit…?

2 Likes

that is a quick 120 followed by a more thorough 220.

I want it as dark as possible of course. I figure finishing with 400 is probably a good middle ground?

2 Likes

In the end, the frit texture will hide the deck texture a bit so the effect will be less noticeable after frit is on

3 Likes

More or less sanding won’t change the colour, after it is clear coated

It includes changes your appreciation of the colour beforehand because of the surface texture reflectance etc.

Google fu edit -

Color appearance is affected by the roughness of the surface independent of the color. To the average observer, a high-gloss specimen would appear to be more chromatic or colorful and darker than an identically pigmented specimen with lower gloss or increased surface microroughness. The close relationship between color and appearance makes it difficult to measure color accurately and communicate about it in isolation — to understand a material’s color, you also need to recognize its texture and appearance.

Because specular and diffuse reflection scatter light in different directions, the viewing angle also impacts an object’s perceived color. By shifting your viewing angle, you can avoid the glare created by specular reflection and see the color differently. This means that viewing conditions must match for two identical samples to appear identical in color.

4 Likes

cool. honestly I’m hoping this is mostly functional. esthetics are secondary here.

thanks for the tips!

THis is great info.

3 Likes

I’d call it done at 220 grit then personally, but whatevs

3 Likes

awesome. I went over it with 220 until it was evenly grey and then laid down the first layer. here we go

4 Likes

They have texture?

2 Likes

@agressivstreetlamp thats the top layer of fibreglass, try not to sand it off :rofl:

But definitely try to get a consistent looking sand across the whole lot. Would suggest using fine grit sandpaper (like 240) on a soft foam block

4 Likes