First CNC Build

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on parts acquisition for my first cnc build. there are so many options a routes to take. I want roughly a 4x4 machine or smaller for my first one. I am thinking either the Sphinx or the Ox. Is it better to go with c-beam or just steel tubing or linear rails… I also need to keep this budget friendly.

11 Likes

Give up, go back and rediscover your true desires of nude body painting.

7 Likes

What’s your budget?

1 Like

@Lee_Wright or @ducktaperules can probably help you with this.

2 Likes

What sort of things are you planing to make with it?

2 Likes

The real question is c beam or linear rails. Trash the steel tubing thought. For “hobbyist” type CNC routers it will always be an aluminum extruded bolt together frame and members. C beam would entail a carriage with adjustable rollers to run along the extruded aluminum. This is great for wood and light cuts in aluminum where very tight tolerances are not necessary. Then there is linear rails bolted to the extrusion. This much better. No need to worry about eccentric or spring tensioned wheels coming out of adjustment.
The next thing to consider is how the axis are moved. Gear and rack, least accurate,
Timing belts and pulleys better for accuracy in light cuts but, not great for heavy cuts. Best is ball screw. Zero backlash. This is essential when wanting to obtain “tight” tolerances in metals like interpolating a hole.
Maybe I went to far. Like @ducktaperules said, what are you trying accomplish?

5 Likes

Pics of a small one I’ve been workin on. It shows linear rails attached to the aluminum extrusion. And yes, that is a marker instead of an actual router.

6 Likes

If you can live with a little smaller than 4x4, here is my suggestion

They also make bigger machine that come with electronics, you’d just need the spindle but that’s like min double the price already.

3 Likes

If anyone was looking for a clue about CNC, I think this guy has it.

2 Likes

Mostly a better CNC machíne haha

2 Likes

Damn dude… I didn’t think anyone knew. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Where did you get your linear rails?

2 Likes

I think I have enough extrusion to do a 500x500 right now… I have just been looking at linear rails and I would definitely rather go that route I think then buying all of the wheels and components that come with it.

2 Likes

I want to build one as I won’t have the bank roll all at once.

3 Likes

How big is your Z actuator?

2 Likes

If you are asking about to the motor, I’m using a nema 23 servo motor, which is overkill, by a lot!! I can go into more detail tomorrow, if people are interested. If not, pm me and I’ll help you out. Getting ready to grill some steaks!!!

5 Likes

This is the start of my machine… I found these for 7 bucks a few weeks back… arrived a couple days ago.

4 Likes

What size are they? Your z slider looks beefy, you really think nema 23 are overkill there? Are you going to use a spindle or a palm router?

1 Like

I misstated that, I had 23 on my mind. They are size 34 servo motors which is overkill, but I had them on hand. This is a kit from avid cnc. Purchased without any motors or electronics.

8 Likes

Avid cnc offers nema 23 and 34 stepper motors, which are about 1/10th of the price of Parker servo motors. For the spindle, gonna start out with a sharpie marker😁 then go with a VFD spindle programmable up to 24,000 rpm, I think. The whole point of this project is to try to develop our own g code control.

5 Likes