First CNC Build

That is a steal!!

6 Likes

Now I understand… At least you won’t have to worry about missing steps or the weight of your spindle

5 Likes

Servo motors r :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Will 12 mm linear rail be enough or do I need to go bigger?

Where is the best place to get linear rail?

1 Like

@TheRef are you in the US?

1 Like

I feel like I should say this…
I would equate building your own cnc router to building your own eskate for the first time. You may think you will save money vs buying a prebuilt but you probably will not, most likely.
That said, this is why we are in it, right? Otherwise buy a Lacroix.
The first thing you should consider is what control and software package you would like to use. These things will come into play as you chose your linear rails, ball screws, etc. You will want limit switch’s, z axis touch off, just to name a few.

1 Like

I could make this a separate thread if people are interested.

5 Likes

All this typing, not enough machining. You’ll get a break in Octoberish.

4 Likes

Yeah I like DIY and also I don’t have the bank roll to purchase a whole machine so I buy parts as I can…

2 Likes

I have seen some bad reviews on some linear rails that’s why I was asking if you knew a good place to get them

1 Like

I was honestly just thinking of going the open builds black box route unless you have a better option :joy:

2 Likes

Just did a thing…

2 Likes

You could build your own controller which like this one.

https://www.designsbyphil.com/cnc-demon-controller.html

1 Like

That’s pretty sweet! How about a router/spindle? Any recommendations there?

Alright which one of you machinists wants to make me some plates?

1 Like

Palm routers are a good start although they spin a bit too fast. If you are set on using a spindle, I have seen lots of people getting them from Amazon or eBay. I think a c-beam machine can hold the weight of a 2.2kw spindle. Look for spindles that have 4 bearings they have been recommended a lot from what I read.

This thing is a thing of beauty. Been watching a lot of videos about diy CNC on YouTube, it’s so affordable now.

Where are you located?

1 Like

I’m in ole Lehi, UtAh

1 Like