FreeBOX V6 ESC

A new ESC is on the horizon, so let’s keep the questions and interest about it in here for good housekeeping.

16 Likes

Is there a timeline estimation on this? I was going to get a stormcore for my next build but if this is reasonable close I will hold my horses for it.

5 Likes

I can’t suggest anyone hold their breath on this one. This is going to be a continuation of our collaboration work on the TORQUE6 with @torqueboards, but it’s slated to come after we have the other core FreeSK8 devices launched.

Realistically this is an end of the year/beginning of 2021 project, but we’ll get development rolling a bit before that.

15 Likes

So this is been shipped in JP language

12 Likes

nice, will they actually be ready for my build in 2024?

6 Likes

May I ask why the collaboration with torqueboards was needed?

7 Likes

I think TB needed the collab, not the other way.

9 Likes

It was a collaborative & mutually beneficial effort. :slight_smile:

Dexter (@torqueboards) had a V6 ESC project that he had yet to bring to the finish line, and I happened to be looking for some VESC based hardware to cut my teeth on, so we worked together on the last few design revisions & blew up a bunch of ESCs in the name of science.

Pretty happy with the result so far! Most of the DRI crew has been running them in builds for quite awhile now. The TORQUE6 architecture is not dissimilar from how the ESCapes were laid out, just using a bit more modern directFET part choice.

Will be taking what we learned from the TORQUE6 project to build out the future FreeBOX. All part of the process.

17 Likes

Ahhh he mentioned he was working with an all-star team. That makes sense it’s the freesk8 team. Now Im really interested in knowing what the projected price would be because now we have the TB vesc 6 as a starting point for comparison

5 Likes

So most likely a V6 derivative? What we talk for dem volts?

5 Likes

Better have hibernate on it :innocent:

8 Likes

This! Pllleeeeeaaasseeeee give us a power stitch

6 Likes

roll to start

5 Likes

standby mode, i don’t object with R2S, but i prefer to turn on/off with remote (if it only works with OSRR, im also fine with it)

6 Likes

i’d prefer if EVERYTHING was OFF when I leave my board home alone

now if the remote or APP had two modes, a dead-dead mode and a hibernate mode… I might only kill 1/2 my batterys

7 Likes

Is this a 3 shunt design similar to the neobox?

4 Likes

3-shunt design is a design characteristic of the V6, so yes!

I’ll say this, because it’s what we’re doing a bit differently:

The plan here is to create a dual ESC carrier board with modular single V6 ESCs that bolt in. Will allow us to use them as single ESCs, or still have dual ESC configuration with the ability to replace each side individually. Best of both worlds.

23 Likes

PREACH BROTHER!!!
10 robots

8 Likes

This is a really cool idea, i am assuming this carried board will have a canbus connection along with some other goodies?

4 Likes

Like BLE & integrated flash for logging? Yep. :wink:

9 Likes