Offset battery box

Getting ready to mount my first top box and was curious if any one does offset for counterbalance. Figured we could talk amongst ourselves about it here.

3 Likes

eh, makes sense to me. Doubt the weight balancing helps with ride feel.

Wonder if there is something cool you could put right there, besides like board-mounted charger.

2 Likes

Interesting. My only thought is that possibly like an asymm snowboard, you could put the extra weight on your heel edge to give an added turning/lean boost on that edge.

Asymm snowboards have a lower side cut radius on the heal to make healside turns a bit more reactive cause most folks can get weight on there toe side easier.

1 Like

Well it also helps with foot position

2 Likes

I have problems with toe side turns, (obvious? Ha I thought everyone did) hence thinking offset the box… ha see what I did there? Although I have never ridden an actual binding only the freebord.

2 Likes

I slid my box a bit forward on my deck since my stance favors leaning forward. Unless you’re busting 180s, I doubt you’d notice it.

1 Like

My ocd says no.

I’d prefer to see something more like what @spacefarmer was working on here… The "Talk me out of this" thread - #163 by spacefarmer

How did that work out for you Jay?

2 Likes

If I have a long box I prefer to mount them like in the picture. For me personally I prefer more freedom on the foot placing over a lil bit unbalanced board.

I’d say go for it. My asymmetric battery box worked out well and I don’t notice any handling or turn in issues. Only thing I’ve noticed is slightly faster tire wear on my toe side, but that could well be from riding style.

3 Likes

Offset for optimal foot space. But using full bindings eliminates movement anyway. So…

Wouldn’t say it’s always like that.
I have my bindings relativ lose if I use heelstraps. I like to be able do change my stand a bit depending on how fast I’m riding.
The possible movement is definitely enough that I do hit the battery box on the one or the other setup.

2 Likes

I kinda did an offset pack on my top mount build. used the extra space for the ESC and other circuitry

3 Likes