Pedro's Marcenaria

First ride, I missed riding it

Unfortunately it is already dead, apart from a belt breaking that is

For some reason my belt tension is having a lot of variation as you spin the wheel, but when you spin it and look it’s perfectly round, really hard to get a good tensions that doesn’t get too tight at some parts, and skip on breaking on the loose

And the really killing point it that I went flying in a sand pit and stepped on the loopkey, so the case isn’t waterproof anymore, and when I got home and unplugged it was hot as hell, don’t know if it’s just the pins that are bent a bit and not making contact or anything else broke, if it’s the second case, will be a pain to replace

7 Likes

Nooooooo. I hate it when a board breaks on the first ride :disappointed_relieved: especially after being out of action for so long. Hope you can come to a swift fix!

5 Likes

I think the it’s just the loopkey, the pins are too closed, just open them a bit and should be good

For the waterproofing, probably thin superglue so it can penetrate in, and after that a layer of rubberized superglue, not meant to go underwater but should hold a few splashes

5 Likes

Check the motor and motor mounts as well if you haven’t done that already. A slightly bend motor shaft or shitty motor pulley or bend motor mount can cause that as well.

Maybe time to move to chains?
I have some wheels that do not run perfect round and the chain can buffer that pretty good.

4 Likes

Thanks Andy, will check that. I have some nice Lacroix CNC machines pulleys, the downside is that they are for MBS hubs and just 72T, and I just have a pair of MBS hubs, so would be MBS in the back and Trampa on the front, and also would loose a bit of torque

Oh and my motor pulley is flanged are just one side, and the CNC one has no flanges at all, at 3D printed piece could work, but I could end up again with things not centered

What chain pitch do you run?

2 Likes

I run iso06b right now on all chain boards.
That’s a 3/8“ pitch I think.
But I also waiting for some 05b sprockets to arrive.
Want to try a size smaller. Should be good enough as well.
Making your own sprockets shouldn’t be a big problem for you I guess and the steel ones are usually as well cheap to get.
Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

3 Likes

Nice, I have those 1/4” pitch that I will use in my ebike, will think about for a bit, I really want to go gear drive, for the way I ride would be the only true trouble free solution, but lots of cash considering I would also need new motors and all that

The loopkey repair went well, after it gets a bit of dirt won’t even be visible

2 Likes

Was there some magic to the loopkey?
Looks like it changed it’s appearance to chain look😳

5 Likes

Small mistake lol

6 Likes

Ok, Lacroix pulley in the back on MBS hubs on the back and white Superstars on the front it is, another belt broke doing nothing, on the previous set of 3D printed pulley I was only breaking on a stick or rock got into it, and that would happen almost never, easily 500+km on a set of belts

Only problem is that my motor pulley has flange only on the mount side, and Lacroix one has no flanges, so I will have to 3D print one and glue it somehow and hope that it holds

3 Likes

One flanged pulley done, broke my heart, but had to grind it a bit for the glue to stick

On another note, is there someway to slap my past self? Built this pack 4+ years ago for my first board, and now having to tear it apart to reuse the cells, fells like disarming a bomb

4 Likes

I believe that given a running start, I could possibly slap you back to 2017. No promises, but willing to try.

5 Likes

Looks really nice! I like what you did with the visible cables and the light electronics enclosure looks great too :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Bill, let’s see if the battery is magically built better tomorrow due to your timeline manipulation

Thanks man, I also really liked the cables like that, will be my default way to do the griptape on the future, kept looking at it for a long time to come up with a interesting design that I could also easily cut by hand, nothing came

Pulleys with flange done, this things spins really nice, but so did my 3D printed ones I still don’t know why I was having problem

Unfortunately the MBS wheels have a different spacing inside and I only have one metal spacer, so will have to 3D print it, and so I also need a shorter spacers to go from the truck face to the wheel, and move my motormouth further inward and hope that nothing interferes

Also, even being wider on the bearings, the MBS is narrower on the wheel seat, so let’s see how it will look in the end, might see if I can find a pair of hubs locally

Had a video of it spinning but I guess we can’t upload videos here, I call it censorship, dammit @Andrew (guess it is due to storage space)

5 Likes

Yep, we have discussed this at length and agreed that video/file uploads should be hosted elsewhere for the time being.

4 Likes

And done, business in the front and party at the back, this is temporary as I will have a cool upgrade soon

These CNC are the shit, I’m suspicious to say that since they are my design :rofl:, but had never used them before. Belt tension is consistent across the rotation, it may be a bit tight, but better that than to skip like before

5 Likes

Half a bomb disarmed and ready for reassembly

Haven’t tested the board due to a bit of a cold and sore throat, and of course it rained today

6 Likes

Just took the board for a spin around the block and it’s perfect, no teeth skipping, smooth and quiet, torque doesn’t fell that much weaker compared to the 80T pulley, if needed will just bump the motor amps a bit, right now I have the temperature limits set at 115/120°C since the noise spikes was making it cut randomly, now will probably get even higher, if I have problems will just cut the wires and let them cook

Also stayed a bit late tonight and finished disarming the bomb, making the 3D printed pack skeleton right now, since I have lot of solder residue on the cells, spot welding is out of question, will just solder the nickel to the cells

3 Likes

I thought that issue was fixed already with the 5.1 FW last year in Mai or so.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried, I’m on 3.58 or something like that following the don’t mess with what works

But I may try it, some setups with a bad wiring has no software fix for it. For example, there are some motors that the ground and thermistor wire are not run close to each other inside the motor, but one in each teeth of the stator, this causes a huge wire loop that injects a lot of noise as the magnets pass by and current go through the coils. No amount of filtering and signal processing can fix that

To be honest I don’t remember if my motor is in that situation

3 Likes