Pedro's Marcenaria

Un…frakkin’…believable.
(double face palm)

3 Likes

And trying to make them change it didn’t happen lol

Before lunch ride, all good, at some point I will have to replace the motor bearings. Also, for some reason One of the wheel pulleys is close to the tire and the belt is scrapping a bit and wearing down

Been improving my sand riding technique. The best results I had is putting most weight on the front wheels and carefully pressing the rear and feathering the throttle to keep the momentum, but without letting the rear wheels sink too much. Of the 20 or só sand pits I had to cross, only got stuck in 2 or 3, where in the last I would get stuck in every single one. I bet there new tires also made a difference

This is one I got stuck

4 Likes

How do your motors hold up to all that lose sand?
No issues with small stones get stuck abs rubbing?

2 Likes

It does get inside, but no issues, if the bearings were with metal shield (ZZ) it would be a problem, but just a bit of riding out of the sand it all comes out from the motor and pulley/belts. You can’t have it too tight or it breaks the belt, in fact I have to loose it a little bit

If I do get stuck in a deep sand that goes almost to the middle of the wheel and the noise is bad, I usually hold the board in the air tilted to one side and another for a few seconds and all goes out

3 Likes

Started doing some tests on tire pressure, nothing too scientifically

When I assembled the board last week I pumped them to 60 PSI, wasn’t too comfortable on really rough roads, yesterday I lowered them to 40 PSI, keep in mind that they were at 50 PSI after a week, don’t remember it lose that much pressure so fast before, will keep and eye

Yesterday ride wasn’t my usual one since one section I was going too speed against the wind and the rest slower than average since I was with a friend on his bike, but the results so far is 11.8 Wh/km @ 40 PSI, will ride a little more with it to get more data and lower to 30 PSI

I think doing that way will be more representative than testing all pressures in one day since you have to worry about the tires cooling down before changing the pressure, making sure to have no wind and all that

Oh, and also increased my motor current to 70 A to compensate for the smaller pulley

6 Likes

Found this spot where they are doing some work in a creek and made a road going down there, and this leads to a few other roads that I still have to explore, was too late to go down, and wouldn’t be fun if something went wrong to come back in the dark

Also, the downhill was so steep that the board couldn’t brake since the belts were slipping a lot, have to tighten again, not fun, was almost sure they would break and dirtface

9 Likes

That’s a nice playground.
You need bindings and some air time :point_up::joy:

7 Likes

To be honest I’m scared of bindings, I have them here, just never installed

I fly off the board so much due the sudden pockets of sand we have here that I feel with binding I would hurt myself. It’s always slow speed on those parts, so you can easily walk out, with bindings I would kiss the floor I think

Be glad to be proven otherwise

3 Likes

That’s a good argument against bindings.
Those sand banks are not my friends as well :joy:
If you already have them laying around I would give them a go non the less. It’s a totally different feel and control over the board with them. Maybe you will like it.

4 Likes

Sand is the worst. Definitely a good argument against bindings.

But i have big love for bindings. You are doing yourself a disservice not to try them Pedro

3 Likes

Will think about that, I don’t have the heel straps so less bad I guess. Would be cool some quick connect for them, riding on the road with cars don’t seem like a good idea with them, and second point, my safety gear consists of a helmet, with full body armor I would be less scared of trying it

1 Like

That’s up for discussion I guess.
You can slip out without heelstraps in a good way, but unfortunately also in a bad way if for example only one leg slips out and the other still stuck in the binding while bailing.

3 Likes

Will try it on one weekend I have nothing better to do on a grass field really close to home

But I have to say that the way I ride I never had problems staying on the board, as in the grip between myself and the deck was never the limiting factor. But once I did my toes with 4WD this may change

One thing I really would like to have is something like crawl control that off road vehicles have. The current control method is not good for really bad terrain climbs where traction changes all the time, duty cycle or speed PID may work on that better since the board wouldn’t lunch forward once it gets traction. In this case bindings may help for sure

2 Likes

If I’m in difficult terrain I sometimes ride a bit in smart reverse reverse. Way easier to control than duty cycle.

3 Likes

Bingo, so it works

Will see if I can do some tests to you guys can have fun of my falls

Thinking about that, it may also work really well on sand since it will keep the wheels spinning at constant speed

4 Likes