Puck, Puck, Bruce!

(Dramatization)

6 Likes

Question: Can it be used with a slide glove and a half puck?

5 Likes

Good question. The thought right now is that the we will have a couple different bottom shell variants (normal, PopSocket indent, etc) so perhaps a bottom shell that was purpose built to rest on a half puck might be in order.

I plan on pushing up a REV4 here with a few minor revisions and then getting to work on splitting it in half, shelling, and featuring the model so we can start seeing how it feels with an actual throttle in it.

8 Likes

Ooh, pop socket indent is excellent!

Maybe if the puck was cut into a shape like this?

Perhaps with an even more pronounced curve to match the curve of the PPB body?

Prusa and Puck are standing by.

5 Likes

REV4 Test Primitive model is uploaded, same deal: flip 180 & print @ 10-15% so it goes quick.

Overall minor revisions made to this as REV3 was pretty spot on. Took feedback on reducing the outer finger indent radius a bit. I am limited by the Hoyt Puck internal geometry here to an extent, so I have to push the thumbwheel back if we’re to cut in any further. This was the best compromise on shape I could find and reduced about 2mm in circumference on that arc.

I don’t have the leash anchor features included here but I’m about to start shelling/featuring the enclosure now, so I’ll share some progress pictures as I go.

Let me know!

7 Likes

Feels solid. I’m already working on shelling/featuring REV4, I’ll post progress tonight as I go.

The Usual Suspects:

6 Likes

Trying to do a better job of documenting some of my design steps/processes, here’s the bottom half getting shelled & featured:

8 Likes

This is a new grip position that my girlfriend mentioned that I like a lot. It’s on a Rev4 and just wanted to show you guys another grip option. But seriously, great work @Andrew. I can’t thank you enough for all your hard work

10 Likes

@Jujo I dig it!

Alright you filthy animals, I still need to figure out which side I want to bolt this through + add some cutouts for the LEDs + the leash anchor feature, but this is juuuuust about at the finish line. I’ll release the bottom & top shell tomorrow AM once I have a rested brain to wrap up a few details.

15 Likes

@Pottsy i’m gonna need one of these for science once mr robot man drops the goods

7 Likes

Can this be used left handed?

4 Likes

The puck can invert the throttle wheel input I think.
Should work if you mirror the shell in the slicer program and then setup the throttle for left hand use.

6 Likes

Yep the puck can def invert the input. But not sure if inverting the print would work with the puck internals

4 Likes

It has to :point_up::relieved:

3 Likes

This is a right hand design, but I’ll be doing a lefty variant shell because the throttle can be reversed on the puck.

@glyphiks is correct in that the internal featuring will be a bit different between the L/R variants.

5 Likes

We have a member with a 3D printer in Melbourne?!

5 Likes

We dig it! For transparency, the ones you’ll have up for sale in your store:

1. What material will you be printing it with? (please say some kind of Nylon mix)

2. What printer will they be printed with? (I’d prefer a MarkForged Onyx, but hey)

5 Likes

Shapeways via their Nylon SLS process. The printers they use cost as much as a house, but their pricing is pretty affordable and they offer bulk order discounts now.

6 Likes

brother, may I ask what is your CAD software solution of choice? I use Fusion and find it’s sometimes really difficult to get fillets (like on your posts shown here) to play nice in Fusion…

sometimes I really have to fight to get work-arounds…

EDIT:
I mean in projecting objects into shelled surfaces, and fillets upon fillets… (however some/most are chamfers!! ((k00k approved)))

5 Likes

I’m an Autodesk Inventor lifer.

Fusion is my most recommended CAD suite just because of its accessibility, and I tried my best to use it for the original OSRR beta designs so that I could easily share the designs, and it does like 80-90% of what I need it to do for me.

Inventor handles complex assemblies & geometries on an enterprise level. Learning curve is a lot higher than Fusion though, and the tutorials/videos area is probably not as well supported.

I also run Solidworks when the job requires it, and it’s every bit as capable as Inventor, I just have a preference to what I’ve used for so many years. Inventor workflow makes sense to me and is deeply burned into what braincells I’ve got left.

6 Likes