Puck, Puck, Bruce!

Thanks…

and the COST… Fusion is virtually barrier free cost-wise…

and probably what will keep me imbedded in the Fusion family…

6 Likes

Its definitely different enough that my attempts to switch over to Fusion were pretty traumatizing. :wink:

I suggested @SeanHacker learn Fusion around the same time I was digging into the OSRR beta design work early last year, and he’s quickly become very proficient at it.

Biggest advice I can give you that will step up your 3D CAD game in general: Invest in a 3D mouse, and use it every day until you forget that it’s even there. It removes such a major slowdown to your workflow (view/angle control/clicking) that you don’t realize how much your overall design speed improves until view-controls have been replaced by a 3d mouse on your left hand.

This is the exact model I use, every day. I started with the big gigantic one with the stupid LCD and 300 buttons on it and never used any of those features. The small/compact one with 9-axis pan/zoom/tilt control + 2 mappable buttons is all I need.

https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-3DX-700059-Spacemouse-Compact-Mouse/dp/B079V4PXYD

8 Likes

I still need to add the leash feature but I’m printing the top/bottom as-is to do a sanity check and make sure I haven’t completely boned the wallaby on my internal clearances.

Uploading current rev5 top & bottom shells in a few minutes, consider them WIP still, but feel free to print em and check them out if you’d like.

9 Likes

I learned Inventor in Highschool years ago and doubt I remember much.

I think once I get a printer I’ll learn Fusion. I want to get into modeling things again, it was quite fun when I did it.

8 Likes

Had Solidworks Enterprise in my less scrupulous days, absolute wet dream of a software package, a license provided by a mate that worked at an Eng shop. These days I be toolin with Fusion for the same reasons as @k00k and to keep licensing above board and off my conscience.

5 Likes

This is still WIP until I print a set of these enclosure shells and get a reality check, but probably good enough to print now if you’re feeling adventurous. I make no promises, WIP.

ToDo:

• Contemplate moving bolts to the bottom (where I have less dead space at the moment, so would require adding another 2mm to the overall enclosure depth measurement to accommodate)
  • Pinky Indentation
  • USB Port adjustment
  • Leash Anchor placement
  • Something else I probably forgot
  • Top Lid Perimeter Lip
9 Likes

printer working today. so excited. wanting to cancel the current print to “be adventurous” with this thing. :smiley:

thanks for working on this idea @Andrew I <3 it too much.

4 Likes

Ah you’re already halfway finished, I’d say let her roll.

For reference, I am printing the top/bottom shells at 70% infill w/ supports. Here is my Print orientation for each part:

7 Likes

Still pretty fresh on printing so still a noob, but would 70% infill PLA be enough to survive a drop? Or do you recommend PETG or ABS?

Or maybe do some post print finishes with spackle

3 Likes

The way I am designing these is probably not ideal for PLA- I intend on printing these in Nylon long-term, I just use PLA for quick prototyping/testing.

The cost to print at Shapeways using their fancy Nylon SLS printers looks to be $25-35/set depending on options.

4 Likes

Oh I don’t need to do anything? Sweet. I’d buy one

4 Likes

Once I finalize this design my plan is to order in a bunch of raw white Nylon top & bottom shells from shapeways & dye the batch black/various colors, and/or people can order them directly from the DRI Shapeways shop. We will also likely have a small batch of pre-assembled Puck, Puck, Bruce! Remotes available in the store.

6 Likes

With your skills, I bet it would be so easy for you to make a cnc ready version… Right? Oh great master robot.

I can’t bribe you but I can praise your talent for as long as required.

4 Likes

I don’t mean to start WW3 but I’m not sure metal is the best remote enclosure material. :joy:

Unless you mean we should mill it out of a block of Delrin. Because that would be amazing.

7 Likes

I’m a woodworker so my interest is mainly oriented towards wooden stuff but I am curious about milling composite materials

2 Likes

I would probably go back to the design primitive and shell/feature it completely differently if the intent was to have it milled. I seem to recall Hoyt’s bamboo supplier having a helluva time milling the original Bamboo puck enclosures though- wood doesn’t lend itself well to some of the smaller details needed on the interior.

3 Likes

I have never done precision on my cnc but I am sure you are right that it won’t be easy.

2 Likes

Heads up: If you’re following along on this print-your-own-adventure, rev5 is WIP- meaning I will be pushing minor updates to it until it’s finalized. If you’ve not yet started a print, make sure to pull the latest version down (just updated both top & bottom again with minor corrections).

4 Likes

/me cancels print.

Fast-forward
 PuckPuckBruce/PuckPuckBruce-rev5-bottom.stl | Bin 3650284 -> 3775084 bytes
2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:
:eye: :eye:
:sparkles: :sparkles:

i been too lazy rewiring my parts cooling fan…

i figger if I’m lazy till tomorrow night… I’ll be fine…
:wink: :wink:

any chance of a translucent version mr roboto?

3 Likes