Puck, Puck, Bruce!

If you’re talking about the button with the “T” on it. That happens to me if I tighten the screws too tight on stock puck enclosure. Happens on both of mine. Loosen them up just a bit and see if you still have the issue. Haven’t been able to print my puck puck bruce yet unfortunately.

3 Likes

yah that.

sorry for calling two buttons with a single plastic connector across them a “rocker switch” on a technical forum.

4 Likes

The button fit on v5 is perfect placement imo, just a little more recessed than the Puck, but I don’t see any issues with that. I didn’t think I’d mind the bolt holes on the top, but after seeing it printed, it looks too busy, so looking forward to v6.

5 Likes

Damn. Misfortune on my adventure.

Plastic positioning bit of the puck broke off. :frowning:

3 Likes

@fessyfoo I’m sure we can get that figured out for ya.

Rev6 is up, but untested as I’m printing it now.

8 Likes

Got home and the Rev 5 finished printing. I forgot to increase Z support distance so it’s a mess inside, but still functional.

Printed at 100% infill and will be stress testing it by dropping at Hoyt puck weight using lead weights and doing asphalt grinds to see how well it holds up, but it feels solid as fuck.

Starting to print the Rev 6…

8 Likes

What is the use for the cutout in the area I circled?

The battery cable rubs in the squared area, so is the cutout meant to provide a more clearance for the cable?

5 Likes

I think your battery is flipped 180. The foam should be facing the PCB so the cable goes where that cutout is.

5 Likes

Bout to see what all you kids are talking about

7 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time… :wink:

6 Likes

i just knew that would catch your eye. He’s my work buddy; Its his sworn duty to guard over my failed prints and hex wrenches

In other news,
A) Deltas are awesome.
B) I like the Bruce shape much more than I thought it would. Ive printed REV 6, and the 3 finger grip is much more comfortable than expected. Andrew, you’ve done an awesome job at the ergonomics here. The finger notch on the end, the curved back, all great stuff. Also great notion to add the tabs on the front and back.

I would say to those printing at home, be wary of your material choice on the final print. As its been stated, PETG at the least. The print orientation leaves some features at a disadvantage (screw holes, aligning tabs), and means that they are more likely to shear. Good layer adhesion is important in making sure that this doesn’t happen.

7 Likes

My first osrr is PLA and is still holding strong.

I’ve crashed twice with it, it’s slid about 40 feet across asphalt once.

I think it’s also the truck liner and plasti dip that I did that help added some strength to it

7 Likes

No kidding :laughing: Well then, maybe YMMV, i just know that i wont be rocking PLA heh

5 Likes

Interesting, I have yet to touch the battery, so it came to me with the foam pad facing away from the PCB. I could just add a notch to the other side.

6 Likes

That’s strange. I’ve got 3/3 that were facing foam towards the PCB. I can at least confirm that is correct orientation per Pete from Hoyt, because he was who made the cutout suggestion first.

You should be able to just flip/reseat the battery, or I could add a matching cutout on the other side.

3 Likes

Great to hear!

I think this is the most common reaction I’ve heard to the Bruce design. I don’t think most people expect it to be as comfortable as it is just looking at it.

This is also technically rev20 or so because I went through a dozen+ iterations on the original Bruce design for OSRR to get to where we started at. Ergonomics through iterative feedback & design seems to work well though, and also pretty unique that we can do it so quickly & distributed geographically…

9 Likes

If mines the outlier, then I’ll either flip the battery or just add the cutout myself. No biggie.

3 Likes

What was the rationale to elongate the middle finger vs have it at the same distance as the other fingers? Does the osrr internals need that space where the Puck internals don’t? Just curious if you tested and found it more comfortable or just trying a design others haven’t yet.

5 Likes

Rev6 turned out pretty nicely- I’m going to make two minor revisions to the top shell (enabling the remaining 4 led cutouts + adding more clearance around the vibration motor) but I think we’re close to a winner here.

Bolt length required changed, I’ll measure & confirm.

11 Likes

I had another model I called the Holy Hand Grenade that I tested in a few sizes, that was closer to an oval shape. Overall it didn’t test as well as the Bruce even at smaller scales.

I arrived at the shape of the Bruce through a combination of working around the internal electronics I had in the OSRR beta design + a desire to create a ‘notches’ so that the throttle wheel could be more easily homed. The other thing the protrusion does is make the overall width greater without increasing the overall grip circumference.

What I also found was that you have the most control on a thumbwheel when you’re ‘squeezing’ between your pointer finger and thumb. The fingerhole in the HMP (Dong) provided this leverage, but it is lacking in the Puck design as its entirely round. The Bruce started as my take on the Puck though, I just changed it to be more oval in shape to extend the width + added cutouts for thumb leverage/homing.

FWIW: I have no background in ergonomic design, this has all been an iterative trial & error experiment. The clear preferences from the beta were the HMP and the Bruce models, so those are the two that I chose to focus on.

10 Likes