Puck, Puck, Bruce!

So I just looked at several remotes and it seems the battery is oriented in both directions. best to make the cutout symmetric.

11 Likes

Thanks @Pete and welcome aboard! We’ll get the mods to bump up your account.

I’ll add the 2nd cutout to the update list, but FWIW I do think the foam should face the PCB side as its in direct contact with a heatspreader plate on the radio module. It doesn’t get hot, but they do get warm, so the gap there would be preferred.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been asked before.
Is there a lefty option?
I’m used to not having access to the buttons on my remotes as they’re always towards my palm, and i can’t use my right hand due to some arthritic pain. But it’s be nice to get something esthetically pleasing for the left hand atleast once

4 Likes

I intend on making one as soon as we home in on a final design, and it looks like we’re just about there.

I have to mirror the base shape and then shell/feature the inside a bit differently.

6 Likes

I’ll be waiting for the lefty beta list :rofl:

4 Likes

That is looking spectacular :star_struck: gonna have to print it to feel it for sure :smirk:

4 Likes

Here’s a Rev 6 after the first wet sanding session. Printed with internal facing up to minimize supports and it turned out really well. I can’t imagine it being any more perfect than it already is

Will apply some primer filler, wet sand, and then paint. Should be finished by tomorrow IF I can find some 2.5mm

11 Likes

An observation. perhaps this can just be dsimissed as my printer. but putting it out there just in case.

with the buttons in the topcase and my remote pushed to the support pillars I can trigger the buttons.

button flanges were flush against the case. case was printed internals facing up so it’s smooth.

IMG_0717 IMG_0716 IMG_0715 IMG_0714

6 Likes

I think I might know what that is, but is your battery puffy or is that just the angle?

I found that if I overtighten the bolts, the vibration motor has a collision with the top shell. I am making a slight adjustment to improve clearances there.

I’ll update an updated rev6 here shortly.

3 Likes

battery is not puffy. and it slides in and out without effort. don’t think it’s contributing.

4 Likes

Roger roger, appreciate the input. Making a few more changes and I’ll fire up a new test print.

6 Likes

What do the other LEDs do? Never really noticed them tbh

5 Likes

all the LEDs are on the same circuit… ie; they all light at once… battery SOC, connection, binding etc. notification…

6 Likes

So Rev 6 is fine with just 3 LEDs?

6 Likes

yeah you get the same info, just less places

7 Likes

I am making one other change to the top of rev6, to alleviate a minor clearance issue with the vibration motor if its overtightened. Would rather there be plenty of clearance on stuff like that rather than cutting it close.

With that said- I took my first rev6 print for a ride today, so it’s functional. At this point I’m just wrapping minor changes. Uploading to github now.

8 Likes

Sounds like by the time you’re happy with it all, you’ll be at rev142 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Btw what’s the resulting iteration for small hands? I saw some wives had tried and not liked it and my hands are probably the same size

4 Likes

Sometimes that’s how iterative design goes, I’m just laying my process bare here. But I think we’re just about at final with rev6.

That was the older version, the latest is at 91% scale of that. Cannot feasibly go any smaller without a complete redesign and/or different PCB internals

8 Likes

Should be about good to go. Printing up a final set to sanity check and then I’m going to send off an order to the HP Multijet Fusion service.

Confirmed 20mm bolt depth.

10 Likes

Soon…

4 Likes