The "Talk me out of this" thread

Considering a questionable purchase or a planning a serious hack while building? Ask the good folks here at FreeSK8 for a second opinion before you make a third mistake.

I’ll start:

Recently, I ran out of properly-sized shrink tube on an MT-60 I soldered, and used black hot glue to cover the connection.

Talk me out of this in the future, or not.

Thanks!

12 Likes

No way! Hot glue FTW!

9 Likes

Plus it’s black, has to be good.

8 Likes

Oh man, wish I had seen this thread sooner. Just ordered £80 of twinslot shelving to make a board stand. Could easily have spent double that but decided to reign it in a bit till I know how much I actually need.

6 Likes

Soooo I kinda really wanna get etoxx hubs and go 9 inch mud pluggers on Madness…

I’m scared to even calculate the cost…

Tell me why this is a bad idea.

7 Likes

Buy them along with much cheaper fivestars. Then let your opinion of the bigger tires convince you on those beautiful etoxx hubs.

5 Likes

Fivestars won’t work for me (without unsavoury fuckery) as they are centre-set and would require my already extended axles to be extended further :expressionless:

The etoxx hubs are offset and will just click straight on to my existing setup.

6 Likes

That’s right, I forgot etoxx hubs only need 25mm of axel. If you spend that much on hubs, then will you feel compelled to keep them clean?

4 Likes

Never. You’ve lost the plot.

8 Likes

Fixed that.
Oh wait, the wheel gear adapter then will not fit. Ah damn there is always something…

4 Likes

Yeah dude, I have thought this through long and hard :joy: my options are limited.

4 Likes

just think of how much torque you would loose.

6 Likes

I love the look of those etoxx hubs, but the price, puhhh that’s some mature beer money impact.

7 Likes

Worst case he can go 1:5 gearing.
I mean some 100$ for extra pinions shouldn’t matter in that case then anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

5 Likes

If i get the hubs I am def gonna get those 8t spurs as well. Just in case.

But for my every day use case, i can handle the loss in torque for the speed increase. She’s got enough torque to lose some :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, but I do wonder about the prospect of diminishing returns. What do you hope to gain that you’re not getting now?

5 Likes

Speed and clearance

6 Likes

If your buying new tires, tubes, hubs, and gear drives then its almost worth it to start from scratch right @glyphiks?

6 Likes

Don’t need to replace the drives, just the spur gears. Can go 8/40 if I sacrifice the shaft key thing.

4 Likes

@magharees did this I think and it looked painful

3 Likes