The "Talk me out of this" thread

Funny enough this is also holding me back. Why is it on discount? Also, they had a failed KS in May this year to make it with cheaper components, which might be indicative of financial constraints, but equally it could just be product iteration.

So it’s either the best or worst time to buy rn, because you’re getting better components at a discount and the next iteration is likely going to be crapper (not for sure though), or it could be the bell tolling for their venture and you’re about to lose support.

2 Likes

The cynic in me would say it’s on discount because it’s new and unproven in the market. They want to make early adopters out of regular folks with mild interest. In a years time, if they are still around and all reports from buyers are awesome, maybe that track record and reassurance is worth the premium of paying full price…?

How much are they? I have no idea and haven’t really looked at the too much (that’s my strategy for not buying shit I shouldn’t)

4 Likes

If you do buy them get plenty of replacement sleeves / tyres. NeoHUB lesson (I was cautious and got some extras - would like to have bought more tho)

3 Likes

Too bad the loaded sleeves don’t fit :expressionless:

@frame you got those hubs running yet?

4 Likes

Think they’re a bit loose? Haven’t tried. I got 85s, and 2 or three sets of 90s …?

I’ve had a spin or two on my pair, went pretty well. Never ridden hubs before though so no comparison to make.

Kinda keen to find out why the loaded sleeves don’t fit, could make a spacer or something…? Low priority

3 Likes

yeah man, I’ve done test run on them with 10s4p 40T batt with unity. What’s up

2 Likes

€1,292.24 on discount for the 4WD version, :hushed: which was just under €2,000 retail at first. :dizzy_face:

/edit So 35% discount, actually a couple € cheaper than the KS Early Bird pricing.

4 Likes

I‘m going to order 3x extra sets if I go ahead with it.

4 Likes

Good plan.
Fark. 2k euros…yeah I can see why you might want to be talked out of that

4 Likes

Not right now though.

4 Likes

It’s a complete esk8 though, minus the board. People pay triple that for prebuilt carvers.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s not crazy expensive at the current price, but its still not cheap bro.
I know it’s nice and all but what’s the big drawcard for you?
Aren’t you Melbourne? is it the stealth factor?
Is that important there? Do u see this an office to office central city work meeting commuter? Or weekend cruiser? Beer / grocery getter? Joyrider?

5 Likes

I’m in Melbourne, it’s not important here per se, but would satisfy 90% of trips range requirement.

The draw cards are tech / miniaturisation, the whole integration of analog with esk8, the lightness ~6kg for a complete esk8.

To be used as a push assist analog / skate trainer, grocery getter, commuter and LDP tool.

5 Likes

Do u need 4wd version for that purpose?
Does 2wd also suit that?
(I’m running out of angles and now arguing detail :rofl:)

6 Likes

Not really recommended (even by JayKay). It halves power and range. Thanks for trying all angles! :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

@malJohann did you pull the trigger on the JayKay? i’m morbidly curious about this one

5 Likes

…I’m just waiting for the JayKay just crashed me/5g/bad connection hospital trip story…

5 Likes

9 Likes

I’m sitting on my money for the moment, likelihood is it’s likely rather going for camping stuff to start getting my family out into the woods to go backpacking.

Failsafe on the JayKay is no power with signal loss, no throttle or brake, so if you can skate with signal loss then no problem, it’s an analog at that point.

5 Likes

I am finally working on my final board and my final esk8 battery pack. It was originally a 12s10p 30Q for my flux but those Model 3 cells are just too good of a deal to pass on. Should I stick to a:
-12s6p Model 3 (28.8Ah at $200 and 5kg)
or try to max out at
-12s9p Model 3 (43.2Ah at $300 and 7.6kg)?

I’m currently leaning towards trying to max it out because its just so cheap

I very rarely ride 20 miles continuous and maybe ride just once a week now

6 Likes