Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Straight out of the mold and then after a quick sand and drilled out the holes :ok_hand:

Stoked on these!

14 Likes

Ok, so i got my printer going again, but I think I discovered the cause of my woes. My filament is wet. As i was printing these parts i could hear it crackling and popping. Google tells me wet filament, dry it.

Apart from the wet filament, the prints were a reasonable success. Needed to modify a couple of little spots with the soldering iron for fitment, but its all gonna work nicely.

The mov-e is cool and all, but not having an enclosure to just mount shit to presents some challenges. Happy with the results, now just gotta make it all work.

Modded the dehydrator to dry the filament. Hopefully this will help for the next prints.

12 Likes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Soil-Moist-Moist-3-lb-Synthetic-Polymer-Moisture-Control/3087501
Throw some of that in a sealable rubber bin when you’re storing your filament. :+1:

3 Likes

Fuck yeah. This is happening.

Belts and pulley should be here early next week. I’ll be ready :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Aaand i’m ready.

Sorry @Andrew, robo was too fat to fit in there, i only just managed to squeeze a metr in.

I need to hide this under the couch or something. So hard to look at and not be able to ride :sob:

17 Likes

Righto, so now that NimbleStiff is finished, I can return to what I was doing… wtf was I doing?

Fuck knows. But I got my hands on this sexy eboosted enclosure for the haero, for a build that was commissioned in February :sweat_smile:

So i thought i better at least get started on it as well as another battery that i’ve been promising a dude for months

Apex Trucks arrived for the shop today and @Lee_Wright reminded me that I should be selling the 5 degree risers too…

Now i’m not sure if i’ve mentioned this in here before, but I fuckin hate printing. So tomorrow i’ll take these prints out to the shed, clean them up and take silicone molds from them. I got some different urethane to try for risers, so i’m keen to give that a whirl.

While i’m in the shed I guess I better do something towards getting my own haero enclosure done as well… :unamused: and pour the massive kaly gasket…

14 Likes

14 Likes

Impressive work Al. :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Definitely needs gelcoat! This one will be donated to the dude who put together the basic buck and he can fix up the finish on it after the shit i had to deal with for that buck :rofl:

Next one will try with gelcoat.

7 Likes

Moar batteries, moar beers.

Hoping i get time this arvo/eve to try the haero enclosure again, with gelcoat this time, and also need to pour the fat kaly gasket… keep running out of time/getting sidetracked

13 Likes

Had another crack at it but used gelcoat this time.

6hrs total from starting to finished infusion. And its leaking :rofl:

I feel like even with the gelcoat, its gonna require some post finishing. The tacky gelcoat separated from the silicone wayyy too easily. I fear there will be a few spots that may require touching up.

I feel like i’m ready to close this chapter of science. It was a blast, but I don’t think its financially viable when it’s gonna take me 8+hrs of work and nearly $100 in materials to make one enclosure.

11 Likes

Definitely closing this chapter. Fuck this shit.

9 Likes

Bummer
I guess if it cant be pulled off without a ton of post processing, its not worth it.
That said, I did like the finish of the non gel-coated ones with a couple layers of bedliner.

Question, is it the jackets texture pulling through the silicone? Or the enclosure layup material causing the texture?

2 Likes

Its the layup material.

I’m done with this from the idea of producing to sell, but i’m not gonna let this motherfucker get the better of me.

I will get a good enclosure out of this mould one way or another. I have one more method i wanna try eith the infusion, and if that fails i’ll just do a wet layup in the fuckin thing :rofl:

7 Likes

As much as I’m loving your fancy ass doc brown vacuum pumping resin infusion labor saving every home needs one device. A straight layup will save you so much grief.

3 Likes

Bold of you to assume that wet layups don’t cause me grief :rofl:
:sob::sob::sob:

7 Likes

I did two heavy brush on coats of gelcoat before my recent (most successful) infusion. Also cured overnight.

But that’s on a rigid mould, so not really similar at all actually…

2 Likes

My final attempt at the infusion will be

Dry layup with spray tack
Pull entire layup out of mold
2 coats of gelcoat with 3% catalyst (rather than 2%)
Let tack well
Drop entire layup in
Infuse
Swear and throw empty beer cans around the shed when it still doesn’t work.

6 Likes

Mmmmmm make sure you have extra beer for this. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

5 Likes

Hmmmm… maybe there is something to be said for this ugly enclosure…

12 Likes