Al's Wild World of Wallaby Wankery

Never. I learnt long ago to keep those puppies stocked

6 Likes

Done with this one for the time being. Need to order some headers for the jsts to make a balance harness

9 Likes

Gorgeous pack! I’m keen to see the balance harness as my puny brain can’t conceptualize it.

3 Likes

Was Kaly night tonight. Did a little work on the 12s8p one, bolting down the heatsink plate, a little wire management and installed the @quinncfoster inspired BMS triangle. Maybe tomorrow I can get BMS installed and loop key/esc harness completed.

Test fit the 18s8p… she gonna need a faaaaat gasket :rofl: so happy i went the route that I did tho. If this battery had wires on top, the gasket would need to be significantly bigger. So kicking goals here.

10 Likes

Bit of work on the 12s8p Kaly tonight (Hereon known as the baby kaly)

Bms, charge, loop key and power all connected, i even fused the charge port (never done that one :grimacing:)

Really love the BMS triangle. The bluetooth module tucks in nicely inside and the neat routing of the balance wires really pleases me. Killer idea @quinncfoster :ok_hand:

Still gotta install the sensors, switch, robogotchi and GPS, remote receiver, and then i’m onto the outside!

9 Likes

Making a new gasket mold for the big kaly

The first attempt for the baby kaly worked, but it absolutely did not want to release from the mold. Considering that gasket was only 5mm deep, and this gasket will be a whopping 22mm deep, I decided i needed a new method for the mold.

Made this positive ‘buck’ of the gasket, so now I can form up a silicone mold from this and should get the easy release and clean finish that i’m gonna need for such a thiccc gasket.

7 Likes

@rosco just weighed my offcuts from the haero mold

Pretty much bang on 1kg.

With a lot more patience and a better technique, you could totally do it with 1.5kg or less.

6 Likes

2.4kg of silicone in this one. Caulking silicone is about 60% of the price of pouring silicone, so i just caulked this one :rofl:

9 Likes

Little more work on the baby kaly… powered up, everything working as it should :ok_hand:

Next step, drive train and motor connections…

9 Likes

Well if I can ever convince you to do a matrix mold you could decrease the amount of silicone you use and know how much you need before you pour…:thinking:

5 Likes

I will find a use for a matrix mold some day Damon, and you will be the first person I bug about it :rofl:

7 Likes

Got the plug out, silicone is still completely uncured in the centre. I expected as much, this is what i get for being a cheap cunt.

Will let it cure and then touch it up in some rough spots. Next time i’ll just use the good shit. What it costs in material, i’ll save in time.

9 Likes

Good science though!
So that’s a recommendation against using caulk tube silicone for thick moulds :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Yep, definitely wouldn’t ever go thicker than 10mm if you’re only exposed to air on one side.

You could go thicker if you catalysed the silicone with soapy water first tho. That will be future science.

6 Likes

Doesn’t need soap. Just h2o. The soap is just a release. You will learn to hate caulking molds…

2 Likes

Needs soap if you wanna play with it without getting the shit everywhere :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah but you can’t stick more to it unless get rid of it. Smoothing wit 99% alcohol works better.

2 Likes

Shit has been hectic with work and family life has taken a turn for the worse (or better :man_shrugging:) so i’ve been a bit slack… got the final connections made for the baby kaly, sensor ports and robogotchi GPS port.

Also… received a fairly large shipment from Boardnamics today to supply the fine convicts of Aus with some gear drive goodness. Made the first sale within 10 mins of announcing their arrival :rofl: so i’m officially a fucking piece of shit vendor scum now.

But that’s not all that came in the mail today…

Significantly smaller package came from BN as well :rofl: i have no idea what i’m actually gonna do with these, but I knew I had to have them. I really hope i can fit dual 6355s and the M1s on here, but i’m doubtful. We will see.

Oh and these came too from @IDEA :star_struck: they’ll be going on my Mov-E with 140mm surfrodz tkps and dual 6355s with belts on the XTLA mounts. Really excited for that board. Will run a rebuilt 10s4p 30q out of my old Raptor as well as the og focboxes from it :sunglasses:

11 Likes

What’s that smell?

For really reals, though, congrats on the new venture, Albert. Australia deserves a quality vendor like yourself.

4 Likes

What wire did you use for the female side of the gx connectors? Looks like 1 gauge with 5 wires inside?

Edit/
Oh wait it’s the stock sensor cable from the motor right? I wonder where you can buy that :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes