FreeSK8 Robogotchi/GPS Module

CatBoxRobogotchi with skateboard for scale.

Seeing if a flange makes me wanna cut an enclosure.

14 Likes

My uncle showed me the ropes of beta mastery, once I got the feel for it he let me test it on him…oh fuck I just realized what’s wrong with me. . . Awkward

3 Likes

Widened flange 1mm raised screen to accommodate a 2mm silicone sealed piece of acrylic. Also buttons are siliconed in. A bit shit in execution but more weather protective.

9 Likes

Firmware Update Guide has been posted along with an updated Robogotchi Firmware version 0.4.2:

Renee has also just pushed an update to the FreeSK8 Mobile app that has a fancy new feature that takes advantage of this firmware update. :wink: More on that very soon, we’re getting our changelogs in order and pants on straight- been a wild last 2 weeks since launch!

PS: Batch 2 Robogotchi start shipping today!

8 Likes

When you go to bookmark and highly almost flag it lol.

#bookmarked

3 Likes

I have the Robogothci & GPS modules in my cart and about to click checkout, but have two questions. 1) Do you see any issues with them arriving in Germany before Christmas other than me needing to deal with giving The (german) Man his dues? 2) Do I get access to the FreeSK8 Mobile App for my underpowerd Android phone to provide feedback on these titillating new products?

3 Likes

This batch is shipping out now, so I can’t foresee any issues. I can check & see what DHL pricing is looking like as well.

Correct! You get thrown into the beta testers group, which also comes with discounts/first dibs on future FreeSK8 hardware as well.

3 Likes

Sweet, checkout is showing $20 flat rate to my German address (71139), does that sound right? If so, I’ll complete the transaction.

3 Likes

We offer a $20 flatrate USPS International First-Class (insured, tracked) option on most smallish items.

5 Likes

aaaand sold! Now I can tell my youngest son what he got me for Christmas.

8 Likes

@Andrew do you have a 3D model for it? I’m thinking on how I would put it my board, keeping in mind that it will have to be fully waterproof, feel free to send me elsewhere if you don’t want if public :grinning:

I haven’t come with a solution for the buttons, the display I may seal it on the case and pour clear epoxy over it

And pardon me if it’s elsewhere but I couldn’t find, can I connect it to CAN? or only UART? If it can’t I would need a significantly re wiring of my board

3 Likes

On ze Github!

Once you get the PIN code from it and setup the Robogotchi, you don’t need access to the screen for normal operation. It’s really just there for setup/debug/diagnostics.

UART only at this time.

5 Likes

Thanks

Any plans to show real time data on the screen? Was going to put it in a visible place

3 Likes

Yes! This would be very useful to have. The initial thought was to allow the second button to display ESC information. I can see how some people won’t have access to the buttons so maybe it should also be configurable. It’s on our desired features list for sure though

7 Likes

I 2nd the want for this! I was just thinking how cool it would be if there was a panel-mount robogotchi option so that you could see the screen from the side of your enclosure. If it could show your board’s battery level then it would make any ESC feature par with the stormcore’s RGB button, and then extra info like ESC and motor temps is just icing on the cake! :smiley:

Would be a great alternative until the freesk8 davega clone gets developed…

5 Likes

literally just finished doing this for myself :joy:

5 Likes

I like this- to expand on it I was also thinking a combination Robogotchi/GPS enclosure that was baseplate top mounted might also be something to draw up.

7 Likes

Resin Robogotchi and GPS…

17 Likes

looks good, are you getting better results with the resin printer?

3 Likes

Higher quality for sure.

1 Like