Louis's Alpine Workbench

A friend in my village actually had an acetylene torch so today he showed me how it worked and i did some nice welds! Slow progress on this project but time is sparse!

We tried using steel sticks but it just wasn’t working, it kept exploding in our faces for some reason. Like a giant molten 1600*C bubble popping lol, glad we were equipped.
We resorted to using brass sticks for reinforcing the frame and it turned out really solid :smiley:

12 Likes

Nice job buddy! Get as much scrap metal as you can, and keep practicing. Soon, you will be showing of weld beads with no grinding and sanding!

7 Likes

Thanks man!

haha it was that obvious? :rofl: I added far too much my first time round, and being brass, it started flowing everywhere and made a mess. Needed to clean it up with the grinder

Also you wouldn’t know why this happened?

Like it would get to fusion point of glowing red, then BANG

3 Likes

Wait… @Taz you are a welder right? Can you read the post above and share your opinion? I assumed it was the impurity of the metal but idk

3 Likes

Lol, not exactly. I am a welding engineer that can also weld.
Were you trying to do oxy-acetyline welding?
I have zero practical experience with it as it is rarely used anymore.
Tig welding has completely replaced it.
Brazing is still used though and is a lot easier as you found out.

The explosions you experienced could be a number of things. Even wrong torch settings can cause them.

6 Likes

exactly!

hmm okay. i was told that the ideal flame is this:
so you have have 2 blue blames, and the idea is to adjust either the oxy or acytelene so that the second blue flame just disappears.

The exploding would happen without adding any steel sticks (so just frame, until fusion, and then POP)
and would also happen if i added some steel sticks, exactly as like before, just after fusion, POP)

So unless there is a secret to how much oxy and how much acetylene then i don’t really know why it pops. I also don’t know the exact composition of the sticks, i assume it’s a mix of steel and something else, and same for the frame, i have no idea what steel grade it is.

4 Likes

As I said, I have no practical experience with oxy-acetylene welding.
I would suggest that you find some pieces of metal of known grade and practice there.
Youtube has a few videos that should be helpful.

4 Likes

Youtube is the best. Wanna learn how to do something? Youtube.

5 Likes

For sure. However, one has to be able to weed out the shitty info that is also abundant in Youtube.

6 Likes

Better than you tube is you guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ve been interacting with most of you for almost 2 years, and there’s nothing more satisfying then asking real people that i trust, information from their past experiance instead of using google.
I really am grateful for you all :pray: :love_you_gesture:

I’ll go see what youtube has to say about explody 1600*C metal. Maybe the metal has cancer, or some big melanoma
:rofl:

6 Likes

Yeah totally. But that goes for everything in life, not just youtube.

6 Likes

So update! I’ve been designing the best layout for the battery and calculating how much steel I need for the battery enclosure. Everything is coming along nicely!

https://a360.co/3aDgnh8

So here the fan will be upfront, pushing the air into the enclosure creating a wind tunnel and exiting via vents at the back (not designed yet). Fans will have appropriate dust filters. Front and back panels will be 2mm Carbon Fibre, with various connectors such as gx12 to accommodate the twist throttle, lights, and encoder, aswell as m16 cable glands for the motor phase wires.

The the motor coupler mechanism ended up farrrrrrr more complicated, as it adds a lot of extra length. the motor mount will consist of 3 parts;

As for the Paint, I’ll be using an epoxy steel primer for the first coat and then a 2k SPRAYMAX pigmented can… unsure if I should go flat, satin, or gloss :thinking:

7 Likes

Gloss is easier to keep clean. But i’m a sucker for satin.

5 Likes

Let’s get this thing in motion!!

3 Likes

Exciting!

You’ve got some huuuge bullets there

2 Likes

Yeah they come with 8mm bullets what is strange if to compare them with the phase wire size…5.5 or 6mm would have been totally enough.

3 Likes

So metal and 3dprinter arrived, unfortunately the printer is faulty; the bltouch is broken.
Thanks to the many hours @Zwak and @Scepterr spent with me troubleshooting.
Banggood is being a dick, I opened a claim wanting a refund or bltouch replacement, 3 days later they closed the claim and I can’t reopen it. I don’t know what to do :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Order another one and when you get it ship that one back.

2 Likes

Paypal by chance? If so start a claim with them or which ever method you payed with. Should definitely at minimum get a working bltouch out of them.

1 Like

@Scepterr got me back in road with my printer after hours of video call. Thank you so much man :pray::pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Got to cut my steel profiles today and did some test welds as to get some good practice. It’s getting there!
The stick welder Isn’t great, it’s a cheapo one, so you need to put a lot of effort into it. The sticks also get stuck a fair bit even on the clean metal, really annoying. I really played with a bunch of settings with different diameter sticks and found 1.6mm to work well at 55A 2mm sticks at 80A, and 3.2mm sticks at 120A, at least for what I’m doing.

Bad weather for the next 2 weeks (rain) so I’m glad I got all this done today.

Also ordered the Raiden 7 so now that last major electronic component is the battery from @tinp123 , but I still have loads to do before that.

Here are some weld pics! So the one line I was still testing things, the other you cal clearly see is not too bad. That’s with 3.2mm stick @ 120A.

@Savage1

8 Likes