Louis's Alpine Workbench

Nice dude :ok_hand:

I’ve got a big press i need welded up,just pop over next time you’re free eh?

5 Likes

btw this is exactly what i did, thank bro! Ordered off amazon, and then returned the faulty one. I’ve never done a return via amazon before, i feel quite bad for them because i really do like amazon, fast shipping, good prices, and a lot of variety. but hey, Jeff’s the second richest man in the world i think, i’m sure 50euro loss isn’t that bad :sweat_smile:

I’d do anything for you man. i’m really hoping for Australian 2022 nationals will be in Melbourne (they did 2017 in Melbourne while 2018 and 2019 in Sydney so chances are high), Let’s pray :pray:

4 Likes

Did my first real welds on the enclosure… turned out okay! Doesn’t matter if they look a bit iffy because this doesn’t need to be structurally very strong as it it’s just the battery enclosure and I’ll have 4 steel plates holing it together.
I finished off the edges with the angle grinder because freshly cut steel cuts better than ANY Stanley knife.
Also cutting the carbon fibre sheets was wayyyyy harder than I had anticipated… I sorta messed up the cuts by 1-2mm but it’ll still looks fiiiiine.

Talking about the steel plates, a f@*%ing PITA to find a system to cut them STRAIGHT.
I didn’t have the proper tools once again. I had a tile cutter with a diameter blade on it. It did the trick, but the preparation involved was super annoying. I need to set the guide up straight (which was a guide to another type of saw) and I came up with this ingenious way for the tile cutter to slide across…
Aluminium tape and wd40!
Worked like a charm.

Oh and did I mention it was raining piss? Well I set up camp nonetheless

And finally, the encoder and latches arrived. The motor is planned to arrive on the 20th.
@Creavenger should be able to start the cncing as I’ve printed the prototypes and everything fits!

And finally finally, installed the direct drive for my ender 5 plus. Still need to set e-steps but it’s looking mighty good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

You can cut pretty thick metal with a circular saw with a wood blade turned backwards. Go fairly slow but not slow enough your totally burning it.

2 Likes

Motor received :white_check_mark:
ESC received :white_check_mark:
Battery box built :white_check_mark:

To fill in the steel profiles I stuffed some polystyrene down and then filled up about 1cm worth of bog (epoxy “wood” filler). Looks great!
I’ll take a picture of if all sanded up. Also did some painting on some of the not so very important pieces with black 3v3 metal spray paint.
Ordered sikaflex 291i, kapton tape, and threaded brass inserts for 3d prints. Have some future ideas!
Progress!
Thanks @glyphiks for the bog idea!

9 Likes

7 Likes

Welds are coming along nicely. Good job. :metal:

5 Likes

@Creavenger made the motor plate adapters!!!
So Shiny :star2:

god i hope this all works out :rofl:

10 Likes

Made a QS8 Panel Mount, QS8 Loopkey Grip, and found an XT30 power distribution block on thingyverse so now I can power things such as Horns, Lights, LEDs, GPS and whatever else I want. This is a super tidy solution. Originally I asked @Andrew if he could make me a Gerber file of the same thing in a circle, but this ends up being far easier.

I’ll edit this post with the files once I’m on my PC :ok_hand:
Female QS8 Panel Mount.f3d (161.3 KB)
Male QS8 Panel Mount.f3d (37.4 KB)
QS8 Loopkey Grip.f3d (297.0 KB)

These two I found off Thingyverse, hats off to the original makers.
xt30_male_cap_v2_snug.stl (118.1 KB)

XT30-6way2.stl (54.0 KB)

9 Likes

I would like one of those things please.

3 Likes

If only international shipping wasn’t so expensive…

They are not that hard to make, just a bit time consuming.
@Benjamin maybe you should start making and selling these :grinning:

3 Likes

Ya know what? This might just work :rofl:

Been busy like always, climbing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Last Saturday I did a promotional comp and won :1st_place_medal:
Got some nice prizes.

As for the build I got the tires and @tinp123 sent the battery and boy oh boy is it big haha.

I’ve decided not to paint it until it all works because if it doesn’t that would be 100euro in paint wasted.

I’m currently just waiting on @Creavenger for the motor coupler, but he is moving out so no rush.

I still need to weld a steering wheel/bar and do other small bits and pieces like securing the battery in the enclosure and get all the power plugs sorted.

But God damn does this thing look like a monster bahahah. I was scared it was going to be too small, especially with the small wheel base, but now I 5hink not :grin::partying_face:

11 Likes

I really must get a robogotchi in this too. Telemetry is going to be so interesting.

5 Likes

:partying_face: Nice work!

4 Likes
6 Likes

It’s been a looon time. Like a everyone lately I’ve ben neglecting this thread, but not because I’ve been busy with the project, but because I haven’t done much :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

Good news though!
Firstly found my first job in the Valley. A professional photographer has an AquaTech (waterproof) housing for a certain a DSLR camera (Canon 7d mark II), but switched to a Sony a7 III, so I needed to make a new mount in CAD and print it. I’ll be using
fiberology PA-CF15 for this due to it’s mechanical properties.
I’ll also be remaking the back plexiglass panel with all the buttons and such but rearranged for Sony layout. That shall be laser cut by @Creavenger.
Here’s some pics so y’all know what I’m talking about.

Speaking of @Creavenger aka Sabre Dynamics, he came through with my couplers! It’s been long, I know, but he moved places and has been upgrading his CNC. And wow does it look tasty! :yum:

And been 3d printing some pretty pieces. Experimenting

9 Likes

Wow, the waterproof cover is an ambitious project, that’s cool!

5 Likes

You are having better luck than me with ender 5 and micro Swiss combo. After a week of printing wheels in petg I got a major jam the ended up costing the heater block in 5mm of petg and baking it on.
While trying to unscrew the nozzle it Broke off in the heater block and I can’t get the heat break out due to baked on petg. So need to buy a whole new micro Swiss hotend for $90. On advice of a friend who had a similar issue I bought the clone micro Swiss from banggood he claims it is better. Bro I want wait to see what your tank looks like when complete.

3 Likes

Might be silly what I’m saying, but why don’t you just put it in a vice, heat it up with a blowtorch or heat gun, and try and unscrew the heat break? That way you’ll just have to buy a new heater block and nozzle.
(But as I understand it you already bought the knock-off)

I also completely changed the gantry printed with some PC by @Zwak (before I had the capability of printing with such materials)

VID_20210923_220126_686_1

Bro me too. I’m so scared this won’t work lol. Still have to commission @Scepterr to print some TPU. I have 15kg of filament from CF-PC to ASA to CF-PA to PETG to PLA but I don’t have any TPU lmao.

First test pieces from Max for the < spider >
I’ll have a few of these made with a different diameter center hole to vary the flexibility
20211017-180810_1

6 Likes

Tpu does take some dialling in. Esun petg worked out of the box using cura esun petg defaults. When I tried the same settings on my ender 3 I just got a stringy mess.I have 2 rolls of abs to print for voron printer parts once my new replacement micro Swiss heat block (I caved and ordered an legit replacement from a local reseller). My test print in abs shows I am not there yet maybe need an enclosure (shrinkage on edges). You are better at this than me…

2 Likes