[Puck contest entry] Round 2 mini-Puck: The nugPuck

Alright, I went back to the drawing table and redesigned my mini-Puck. I’ve been trying to learn Fusion 360, and I was inspired by some of the other contest entries to learn more about modeling. My first version used really simple techniques, but here I got into T-spine modeling. Using T-spline I was able to make a far more ergonomic and better looking enclosure. Also, I was also able to maintain the ambidexterity of the original Puck. This is important to me because I’m a southpaw and I let a lot of righties demo my decks. It’s nice to be able to switch it up really quickly.

I printed this thing sooooo many times trying to get the ergonomics right. Every nook and cranny of the surface has been deliberated over. Ensuring ambidexterity while making it as ergonomic as possible was a challenge, but I think I pulled it off.

Beyond the shape I also improved my original design by making it such that the stock battery will fit, and the three plastic stems by the thumbwheel no longer need to be trimmed. All you have to do is remove the battery housing to save some space. Four 3-48 1/2" screws are required to assemble the enclosure.

I made a spacer in the middle of the enclosure that I used to make a lenz for the lights. It could also be printed in any color to make the remote match the color-schematic of your ride.

The .stl files can be found at my thingiverse site here. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4773674

17 Likes

Nice

getting the printer ready

7 Likes

You added quite a bit of goodness to this version, and did on the last day of the contest! Props.

9 Likes

It looks more like a nugget now too! Nice work Tomi!

7 Likes

Reminds me of a key fob

4 Likes

i did not realize today was the last day :rofl:

what a fun time!

6 Likes

Nice job, it was an easy print, and though I’m not used to a small controller where I feel the need to have my ring finger below with pinky, it feels secure in hand. My wife liked it the best based on the small size.

5 Likes

Lookin’ good. I love the colors. I need to print a few up and try them out.

5 Likes

i don’t see my poastmote there :pleading_face:

7 Likes

Nothing against yours and the other great choices, but this one looked smallest and was curious on the LED shining through the middle layer

3 Likes

no worries! just playin with ya :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :yum:

3 Likes

I’m working on an alternate back for mine with finger loops. The pop-socket think never worked for me, but this might. I just need to work on the sizing and placement.

8 Likes

This worked out well. Feels really nice and snug in the hand. It’s no longer all that pocketable tho :upside_down_face: I just uploaded this rendition of the back to thingiverse.

2 Likes

Oh yes! I just wanted to ask you to add something like that to the design, just did know how to explain :joy:
Looking good, just easy to brake I guess?
Maybe it’s even enough to have less of that finger loop there. Just enough to get a hold when you hold it between your fingers.
Like this

But instead make the holder more wide.

1 Like

Believe it or not it’s really solid. I was worried about that as well. I printed this with ABS at 20% fill. I bet it could survive being dropped.

2 Likes

Did have fat gloves to test it with?
On the picture it looks like it just fits right for fingers only.

I can definitely make a glove-friendly version.

1 Like

What about something like this?

2 Likes

I like the first version more :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This one is taller with less loopage. I’ll print it up and see how it works with gloves.

4 Likes